what stereo configs do you guys have

regginblack

Mar 7, 2009
melbourne
hey guys, am about to remove the rear seats and parcel shelf out of my 86 hatch, wondering where to mount my 6x9s, and if making a custom box where the seats used to be is the best way to go. also i have a sub in box im thinking about fitting, wondering if its worth the weight, and if i should take it out of the box or mount it somewhere else

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
in the rear cards behind the seats there is a hole in the body (its meant to be there) that fits perfectly a 6x9" speakers.
has to be spaced out about an 1" or so but mine have been there for 5 years and never missed a beat (pun intended..)

ill get a pic if you want.

X_christ0n

Mar 29, 2008
LiVerpool, NSW
hey man i like that fit LOLZ its just i dont feel like hacking away at my side bit there PLUS i actually Have a parcel shelf =[ took me ages to get tooo hahaha. i used to want a "fully sick" system i got all teh stuff in my room i feel to bad weighing my car down. i was gonna run 6 inch splits in the doors with tweeters in that lil rasied bit of the door card near the start of the dash. 2 6x9s and i actually have 2 15 inch sound stream subs with a 2000 watt monoblock LMFAO but atm im fine with the 4's. i got the original speakers my car came out with in 1983 HAHAHA stilll lsound crystal =]

sootie

Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle NSW
Intense that looks dangerous as mate, I hope they are well secured otherwise that will be smacking you in the back of the head if you ever crash.

I wouldn't bother with rear speakers if you have decent fronts, they are only for back passengers and actually make it sound worse.

I have 12" sub 2 amps $800 head unit etc in the skyline (129db woo! :lol:) but I'm not sure about the Hachi yet, I dont really want to add to much weight. At the moment I'm thinking I will just throw a small 2 channel amp under one of the front seats and some 6" splits in the front somewhere.

I'm still deciding if I can live without a sub, if not I suppose its no biggie to remove and reinstall and amp and sub for track days and stuff hmm...

ayden_d

Oct 13, 2008
ive just got a sony deck and 4 inch speakers in the standard spot, i reckon its loud enough

regginblack

Mar 7, 2009
melbourne
xero can you show us a pic if you have one? do you mean in the space where the seat is or in the rear foot well? Ive been looking at my mates stripped hachi trying to work out if i should put the 6x9s in the footwell and then the sub in the place where the seats used to be, but was thinking the sound quality would be shit. im also worried about weight as i only have a 4age, but its a daily and i have to compromise. i had the 6x9s in the parcel before and have wired up most of the shit for my sub, and even with just 6x9s and the alpine speakers ive got in place of the stock speakers, it needs more bass.

sootie

Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle NSW
regginblack said:
xero can you show us a pic if you have one? do you mean in the space where the seat is or in the rear foot well? Ive been looking at my mates stripped hachi trying to work out if i should put the 6x9s in the footwell and then the sub in the place where the seats used to be, but was thinking the sound quality would be shit. im also worried about weight as i only have a 4age, but its a daily and i have to compromise. i had the 6x9s in the parcel before and have wired up most of the shit for my sub, and even with just 6x9s and the alpine speakers ive got in place of the stock speakers, it needs more bass.
If you put a sub in move it around a bit before screwing it down, I havent tried yet but I think the best spot for the sub in a hatchi would be facing backwards and slighly up towards the rear hatch. The more surfaces it has surrounding it the more the bass is directed out from it.

I would also suggest sound deadening the doors (assuming the speakers are installed in the doors), I know weight is the enemy of the Hatchi but it will make a big difference to sound quality also make sure the speakers are mounted solidly preferably into thick mdf

HR Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2006
Sydney, Australia
i made myself a nice reinforced parcel shelf with fibreglass and use aluminium strip to strengthen the edges which normally break, then covered the whole deal with nice black speaker carpet from jaycar.

looks great and since its so solid the sound from my 6x9's are enough for the whole cabin. the 4+ alpine speakers i have in the front seem good enough, but id like some 2-way ones in the stock position in the dash when my car is running again to boost treble in the front...

maybe a small subwoofer in the boot for a more rounded sound with an amp aswell? something removeable if need be ofcourse.

ive always considered how to put small component speakers up front but it seems impossible without chopping or drilling some part of the std interior, and i like my interior factory-spec :)

sootie

Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle NSW
Garth said:
i made myself a nice reinforced parcel shelf with fibreglass and use aluminium strip to strengthen the edges which normally break, then covered the whole deal with nice black speaker carpet from jaycar.

looks great and since its so solid the sound from my 6x9's are enough for the whole cabin. the 4+ alpine speakers i have in the front seem good enough, but id like some 2-way ones in the stock position in the dash when my car is running again to boost treble in the front...

maybe a small subwoofer in the boot for a more rounded sound with an amp aswell? something removeable if need be ofcourse.

ive always considered how to put small component speakers up front but it seems impossible without chopping or drilling some part of the std interior, and i like my interior factory-spec :)
yeah i was looking at the same thing and wondering how to do it, at the moment i'm thinking i will make something that bolts into where the little pocket thing is on the drivers side door

Richard

Dec 9, 2007
Central Coast
stuff the sound system put in a rollcage instead and listen to ur exhaust notes i havnt had a sterio for 2years and i barely notice

regginblack

Mar 7, 2009
melbourne
was originally going to make the parcel shelf, but i wont have rear seats, and a shelf in there will look wierd with no seats lol. as for a cage, i already have a half cage waiting to be installed lol, so im planning to use xeros idea, or make little boxes for the 6x9s and place them on the boot floor next to the sub on top of the spare. then ill cover it all with some carpet once i remove the rear sound deadening to offset what i can of the weight increase lol.

sootie

Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle NSW
if your putting a cage in there you could just bolt home stereo speakers or proper boxed speakers to the cage.

I really would bother with 6x9's though

Sam_Q

May 26, 2006
S.E suberbs of vic
ok thats different! a 4" speaker does fit very nicely into the middle of this shelf though. Another size also fits but I dont know what it is, it is an oval shape and something like 4" x 3"? I can take a pic

intense said:
Use a hack saw and do this