Vehicle Modification Guidelines (ie. Legal Mumbo Jumbo)

HR Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2006
Sydney, Australia

evil86

Apr 25, 2007
Liverpool
still cant find anything about the roll cage. if any one can find any info about making roll cages legal in them threads please let me know:)

Youngy

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney and Newcastle
www.heavy.com
I have my half cage engineered. Get the ADRs on cd, you won't regret it.

Here's a summary:

* full cages with non-removable front hoops can't be engineered (yeah your mates brother got one engineered - but it was because of who he knew)
* for a full cage to be street legal the front hoops need to be able (bolt) to be removed for when driving on the street
* no part of the cage can be within 20cm of the drivers\passengers head (cause you don't normally have a helmet on when driving)
* you will be registered as a two seater.
* if you have a back seat you don't get to use it or leave it in - see above point

Cheers

Here is a list of things that will fail a normal rego inspection, but can be made to pass with the help of an engineer:

- half cage
- missing seatbelts
- racing harness
- only 2 seats (if first complied as a 4 or 5 seater).
- race seat
- adjustable height suspension (coilovers)
- rod-end suspension joints (where they replace original rubber bushes)
- different brakes
- wheels bigger than 1" over the standard ones
- firewall or pedalbox or structural mods
- different engine, turbo

Here is a list of things that will fail a normal rego inspection, and CAN NOT be engineered. They need to be fixed or changed:

- 6 point weld in roll cage
- locked diff?
- oil leaks
- broken lights
- exhaust protruding past the bodywork
- tyres protruding past the bodywork

I will edit these lists again soon.

However if you have a 6 point rollcage, there is a chance to get your car on the road. It will be with a limited rego thing your state has to allow race/rally cars to travel to their event and get repairs. The whole car should conform to CAMS regulations for whatever event your interested in. You will need a CAMS national licence. The car needs to be inspected for CAMS, and you eventualy get a CAMS logbook and CAMS approval for the rollcage.

The car still needs a roadworthy inspection (maybe from the same person), but obviously it complies with CAMS, and not every ADR.

In Tasmania, the rally rego is called Special Interest, you get SI-#### number plates and the cost is only half of normal rego. You can drive 52 times a year and need to fill in your SI logbook.

I will edit this info when I find more.

Lucifer D

Aug 8, 2007
south Australia
Circlip height adjustable coilovers are legal in SA, a friend of mine rolled through and got his MX5 rego'd with Bilstein coilovers of this nature after he was knocked back for being too low with worn/sagged stock suspension.

Thread type coilovers are not.

Also, speaking with an engineer, thread type can be engineered to be legal, however it is difficult.

Tim.duncan

Nov 11, 2008
Snowy mountains
i was under the impression to have them legal you need to weld them up! which kinda defeats the purpose of having them

ha ha i was thinking about putting a weld on one then recutting the thread threw the weld so i looks like there is a nice bead of weld when really its threaded.

Steve-AE86

Feb 26, 2006
Ademelaide
actually, you don't need to weld them. a tube/sleeve can be put under the lower section of thread, under the spring platform adjuster nut, so you can't lower the platform any lower than is legal.

basically if you weld the coilover, you'll fuck the thread, which will make it forever unuseable to be lowered. at least with a sleeve on there, you can lower it later, and they know this, but don't care, because of teh amount of work it'll take to get rid of the sleeve, they figure it's not worth your effort ;)

Tim.duncan

Nov 11, 2008
Snowy mountains
very nice steve!

some food for thought, i like that idea of the sleeve.

you did that in paint??!!! thats amesome!

any one know if camber adjustable top hats are legal?? (in sa for my intrest)

Steve-AE86

Feb 26, 2006
Ademelaide
now that, i can't tell you.

i've been through regency with them, and with stock top hats, but never had anything mentioned. whether they didn't notice them there or not, i got no idea.

and yeh, i did that in paint :p i get a lot of spare time at work since i got my promotion, hence me hooking thru the forums a lot more :p

i've also been doing a lot of pixel car art :p