TRD 4AGE oil filter differences

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
From the specs list,the 00 is the Z386 equivalent,and the 10 is the Z432 equivalent. Realistically,the only difference between the two models in the std genuine filters is that the Z432 is a bit taller and has a bypass valve. You can run either on a 4AGE of any description.

Why you'd buy a TRD filter for three times the price of a std one though baffles me,especially if you change them every 5k km,that's just wasting money.

Justin...

Anastasios

Oct 7, 2006
Sydney
meh it cost me $35 approx incl postage, i had a trd on there when i bought it so want to keep the same stuff on there

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
$35 each huh? A ryco is about $14 retail,chinese sunwa's cost about $10 each,and genuine toyota are about $18 each IIRC locally. So you're paying double for the same thing,just painted a different colour. Oh well,it's your cash,waste it however you want.

Justin...

Delazy

Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
^^^ have seen a few horror stories where those drift filters were blamed for contributing towards sr20 doing big ends...think it was on ns.com last year sometime

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
^^^ That's interesting. Got any more info on that lazy? NS.com is not the most technically accurate forum around. If they failed internally and oil starved an otherwise healthy engine which then failed I'd believe it,but if it's guys with original,unopened S13 redtop SR's thrashing the crap out of them and then doing bearings who are making the claims,I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Justin...

Delazy

Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
Didn't read into it too much tbh, no interest in sr20's...I've got a couple TRD filters free from a rhd Japan promo sometime back...I'd likely just run genuine Toyota once they have been used..

Brofft

Aug 30, 2012
NSW
$35 each huh? A ryco is about $14 retail,chinese sunwa's cost about $10 each,and genuine toyota are about $18 each IIRC locally. So you're paying double for the same thing,just painted a different colour. Oh well,it's your cash,waste it however you want.

Justin...
Chinese Sunwa Filters

They are cheap… but does anyone have any experience with the quality when installed

Interested to know as products from China – you never can tell until you try…

Thanks!

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
I used them professionally every day for about 4 years and never had one fail or cause damage to an engine I fitted one to. Is that good enough?

In all seriousness guys,for the most part,filters are filters and they ALL come out of 2nd and third world countries in asia,including the genuine manufacturer's ones.
I've been paid to work on cars in one way or another since 1996 and it's been my experience that if you change your oil and filters every 5k km you're not going to have issues regardless of which filters you fit.
I can't say much more than that,as there's nothing more to it than that.

Justin...

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
x2 justin. a good mate of mine has been a mechanic for at least that long and says the same thing.
even on my angry N/A engine i use plain old ryco filters and change them pretty regulary. they are cheap enough to do it, so why not?

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
cheap oil and cheap filters changed regularly is better than expensive oil and expensive filters that rarely get changed

AJ

Mar 28, 2006
what about expensive oil and expensive filters that get changed regularly?
I think the point is, if the cheap ones do the same job, what's the point? Unless you need weight reduction in your wallet :huge-grin:

trdee

Mar 1, 2012
Sydney
Z432 is the 1ZZ oil filter IIRC. they are what toyota advises to be used on the 4AGE rather than the Z386. they are interchangeable, only difference is the Z432 has more capacity iirc...

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Z432 is the 1ZZ oil filter IIRC. they are what toyota advises to be used on the 4AGE rather than the Z386. they are interchangeable, only difference is the Z432 has more capacity iirc...
The genuine toyota filters are different in two ways. the ****E1 (Z386 equivalent) is shorter and does not have a bypass valve,whereas the ****E2 (Z432) is taller,and does.

I will run either on my engines,but will prefer a Z432 if I have to choose.

Justin...