to wrap or not to wrap......

Youngy

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney and Newcastle
www.heavy.com
Hi,

Ok there is a lot of opinions on this from what I can tell already.

But I am having heat issues in the engine bay from the headers which are already ceramically coated. I'll say that the ceramic coating is not the best and I'm not sure who actually did it.

So should I wrap those coated headers with the traditional wrapping of glass\wrap stuff - think DEI?

Would there be any drawbacks?

I'm leaning towards no drawbacks at present.

Cheers

Jimmee1990

Apr 15, 2012
Mount Dandenong
The wrap is a little absorbent, so does attract a little water but not a massive amount. If it's coated and there's no deep scratches I can't see why it would rust. The only real downside is if you don't keep on top of oil leaks from the cam covers and distributor it can catch fire.

If you use proper heat wrap (not cheap ebay junk) it works incredibly well.

Big T

Jun 27, 2006
Sydney
I've gone through this dilemma with the turbo giving off massive heat. It is ceramic coated, heat wrapped and the turbo has a heat shield that is also coated. Still pumps out the heat from the dump pipe so had to relocate the brake line to stop it from cooking. Is there something in particular that is melting or just general excess heat concern?

I found the acl heat shielding to be fantastic. I could still touch the shield after a hard run. I use it to protect the coils on the firewall. It's pretty easy to form but takes a long time to get it to look nice if covering things like extractors with complex bends.

Youngy

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney and Newcastle
www.heavy.com
Hi,

Just don't want heat going to my lines or indeed my coil packs which are also mounted to the firewall.

I have some of the ACL stuff as well and am finding it to be a bitch to get into the multi curved shape I want it in......

I'll do the wrap first and then keep going with the ACL shielding as an additional step.

Big T

Jun 27, 2006
Sydney

They can be formed but needs to be treated almost like sheet metal. Hammer and dolly it into shape.

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
the only real issue i know off with wraps is it can alter the expansion and contractions as it insulates the material, but not hose on either side of the headers. can lead to stress cracks etc. dunno how much is due to shitty welding and how much is word of mouth shit though...

Youngy

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney and Newcastle
www.heavy.com
Well what you have said sounds like it does not add up to me.

It insulates the materials near the headers from the heat the headers produce. The source of the heat in the headers is inside them and I very much doubt the wrap will stop or contribute in any way to the metal of the headers not expanding and contracting as they would with no wrap.

I could be wrong, but I'm sticking to the above for now.

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
Well what you have said sounds like it does not add up to me.

It insulates the materials near the headers from the heat the headers produce. The source of the heat in the headers is inside them and I very much doubt the wrap will stop or contribute in any way to the metal of the headers not expanding and contracting as they would with no wrap.

I could be wrong, but I'm sticking to the above for now.
its more been used several times by people to explain cracks in stainless manifolds.... no idea if its true or not, probably more likely too think a material

Ped Rac3r

May 29, 2010
New Zealand
Go with the heat wrap. I have found the 'Titanium' stuff to work much better than normal heat wrap. Will drop your engine bay temps a considerable amount. Make sure you soak the heat wrap in water before you apply it, makes it much easier to work with, once you start the car the water burns off and the wrap will pull tight around the runners.

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
youngy, i wrapped my extractors to stop heat killing my starter motor. mine have ceramic coated as well and ive never had an issue yet. seems to keep temps down as well.

Youngy

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney and Newcastle
www.heavy.com
Ok I am using\used DEI Titanium wrap. Which apparently does not need to be wetted out.

Two things I have learnt

a) way easier with the headers off the car - yes I tried to save myself time by doing them in the car.
b) Don't bother the with DEI stainless 'cable ties' they are so shit and never get tight. I'm using stainless safety wire and the correct safety wire pliars.