the limping cockroach

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
so here it is.
the answer to all our problems.
Well kinda.

For those that havnt had the privalige to listen to my wingings, we have been struggling for coin since moving to tas. The combined drop in annas wage and my apprentice wages meant we were earning about 40 grand less than we were in brissy. And while our costs were also down, our costs for transport were massive... we were spending around 200 a week on petrol, and the cars were struggling with the big days on the road.

Combined with an inconsistant boss, we were going backwards lol. But luckily, mum stepped up and offered to lend us some money to get something a bit more reliable and a lot more fuel efficient.

Was looking for a eg civic vti. But apparently i was taking too long. Mum went and found one herself. She was so pleased with herself for having remembered that the vti was the "good" one.

I didnt have the heart to tell her that the lady who sold her the car had no idea and it wasnt a vti.

Ladies and gentlemen, i give you..... the EGG

She comes with a very clean interior, awesome mid 90's honda red fade and a leaky exhaust. BUT she gets about 600 a tank, so our weekly fuel bill is about $80 now.

First order of business was attemtping to bring some life back to the paint.

This pic shows me and the panel guy from work having a check to see if the paint would come back. seems promising...

So after hitting wololies :D for some cut and polish and wax etc i set about polishing the TuRD.

this is prob the best befor and after pic.... i honestly didnt think the bonnet was worth trying, and while it didnt come up perfect, its still pretty chuffy!

and all shiny. Its an unfortunate mix of about 7 different shades of pink.... i mean red. But looks about 9million% better than this time yesterday lol.

Going to flog of the horrible 17's and get some decent suspension under her....but the non vtech d15b will be staying for the forseeable future. At least till my apprenticeship is done.

For inspiration...

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
so wish i was screaming "vtech yo!!!" as i drove to work lol

but its looking good lads, prob looking at about 650ish for a tank of go juice, so thats about 100 savings per week :D

but i hate the wheels and hate the skirts.... needs coilovers and 15's lol

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
is it injected or carbied pat? lisa had a carbied one and while there was no problems with the engine itself it was extremely gutless on anything but a completely flat road.

oddly, it seemed to go better with 4 people in the car...

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
As discussed in the other thread,Civics make awesome daily drivers,congrats on the new acquisition mate.

Don't stress too much about the lack of power,just remind yourself of how good the economy is. If it gets too much,you can always go for the cheap upgrade and throw in a D16Y4 out of an EK1 into it. Get a decent exhaust under it next and it should keep up with corollas while still being great on fuel.
My EK1 used to get 550km to 45L in city commuting traffic and I drove it like I hated it.

A few handling mods will go a long way to making it more enjoyable also.

The side skirts look fine to me,I'd add lips to the bars and leave it alone externally.

Selling the 17's for 15's shouldn't be too hard. If you were in Sydney I'd give you a pair of spare 15's I have sitting here to go on it in the meantime.

Justin...

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
adam, its efi.

We ran it dry today. 633 km till she spulttered. so jerry canned it halfway up the goldenvalley hills run in the rain lol.

this was a wee stop on the run to use petrol :) had a great day, despite the shit tyres and standard susp, she does hills fun :) heal - toe and turn seems to be the tactic lol

saw this little fella snuffling along the side of the road. Anna hadnt seen one up close yet, so pulled up thinking it would waddle off at great speed. nope. just kept snuffling and was more than happy for the two of us to check him out and get the pics :) VERY cool lil fellas.

This came almost imediatley after a minor incident ( when is there not a wildlife involving incident in my posts?) involving, you guessed it....

a fucking eagle!

Damn thing swooped out of the mountain gully next to the road and along the road. Thought he would lift up a touch and kept into it :D but he kind of didnt, so we drove into and under him lol. Must have given him quite the shock, as he literally SHIT himself on my windscreen when we hit him lol. He flew away hoping no one saw his embaressment, but scared the living catshit out of anna lol.

Quick question, have exhaust leak, do i just need gaskets or do u use gaskets and sealant? or just sealant??? never done it is all :)

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Exhaust leak repair depends on where it is in the system. Hondas use a tapered ceramic/mesh composite cone for their flange gaskets and those things are fairly expensive. Coating one in exhaust sealant and refitting it if it's not too far gone usually works.
If the leak is at the manifold flanges,they are standard flat gaskets,and should be replaced if they're leaking.

Awesome economy run btw!

Justin...

Eircamae86

Sep 11, 2008
Toowoomba QLD
I see your Honda & raise you this weapon.

Looks ok in the photo but the lacquer is peeling like mad, same with all Toyota reds from the era.

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
thank fuck its EFi, and yeah while not the greatest suspension the handling basics are there and its bit of fun to throw around.

check the back section between the last flange and rear muffler, its common they will rust through there.
i used shit ton of exhaust goo on lisa's before we sold it. did the trick.