The 2JZA61 daily

takai

Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
So some of the people at the Annual would have seen my not-overly-daily* daily.

Basic rundown is a 2JZGE VVTi from a 2001 Crown Majesta in a 1984 MA61 Supra, roughly built to IPRA specifications on everything bar interior trim/cage and exhaust.

To come in the future is this:

Plus a set of cams, and possibly some head work. Eventually probably a high comp bottom end as well.

Goes well :)

*not overly daily because i catch the bus to work.

takai

Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
Not much to report really. Been driving it on and off for a while. In that time ive cleaned up the dash and interior:

Installed a fire extinguisher:

And had Kirby redo the exhaust and install a Varex:

Sounds like this:
[youtube]I_gMWnk96w8[/youtube]

Also got my speedo all working. So its down to just tidying things up now.

That said over the summer we are looking after a friends car as well, so i figure its as good a time as any to repaint the car. The problem is deciding on a colour scheme. Im thinking either the same as it is now, or pure white.
Thoughts?

AJ

Mar 28, 2006
so 80s, fucking love it

should totally do it in bright ass fucking orange

takai

Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
Nah GTR Purple and dark blue are all a bit gay. Especially on an 80s car.

Thinking either White (same as the race car) or same red/black.

takai

Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
Today i present Photochop time with Uncle Takai...
In order of luminosity:

All White:

All Red:

Red/Black:

Gun Metal:

Black

Thoughts?

takai

Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
Yeah, its the odd colour shift when i did the quick and nasty colour change in Photoshop ... good old Saturation > Colourize

Andy 86

Jun 12, 2006
Adelaide, SA
If you're painting it in the shed i think white would be better, gunmetal would be hard to get a nice finish off if you're doing a backyardy

takai

Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
Nah, ive done gunmetal before, its easy to get a good finish if you have good gear (just dont look at the rush job on the Sprinter).

Ill be doing it white though, after a while of seesawing ive settled on the white.

takai

Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
Ooops, kind of forgot to update this. So here is an update:
Just a little teaser
In between being annoyed by the door lock and the hatch glass assploding on me i did a bit of tidying up in the engine bay.
Installed a radiator flow panel thingy that i picked up ages ago:

Added the obligatory Asahi can rad overflow bottle:

The custom Kelway strut brace:

And now it looks like this:
Added the requisite CAMS sticker, and decided to slap an IPRA sticker on there too:

Tonight i machined down the spacer rings a poofteenth so i could fit the 17" meshies. They need new tyres, because having retarded stretched 185/50/17s on a 7.5" rim is just stupid, but they look ok. Oddly the sticker on them says 16x7, when i measure them as roughly 7.5" wide and they are fitted with 17" tyres.
It would be ideal if they had a touch less offset, but as it is now at least they wont scrub.
Have to get tyres fitted to the rear before i can put them on though.

Also the elbow rest thing was really rooted when i got the car, so i got some new foam and retrimmed it:

Not quite the family tartan, but hey, its a bit of period styling... yo.
Took the Supra up through the Heysen tunnels today for a bit of fun, and aural pleasure. Unfortunately the GoPro stuffed up the first two times around and then on the second time up i had a cop blat past me. Second time on the way down i got this:
http://vimeo.com/20866573
Got out of the acceleration run though because i thought i saw a cop in my rear vision mirror and it would be annoying to get it defected for the entire reason i have the variable exhaust.

takai

Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
Well thought i should update this as the car has been sold, and to give a bit of closure to the thread.
Im doing one last event in the Supra, tomorrow. ToyoShow motorkhana, which should be a good bit of fun. Was hoping to have the trutrac in the car by then, but ive been screwed over by the diff shop who was supposed to put the trutrac into the spare housing. Ohwell, its still got a LSD....

Anyway, the new owner wanted a half cage in it, so i organised with Kirby to have a bolt in half cage installed to the NCOP specifications, and picked the car up again last night, gave it a brief clean and prepped it for the Khana on Saturday.
Rolled it out this morning and took a few shots before i left for work. Here are the first few:

Im sure the new owner will be on to post about the car, i think he is a member of most of the forums im on as well.