Steering Rack Components for the DIY

PETE

Jun 1, 2006
Newcastle
royaldrift.cjb.net
Ok guys since I kind of do everything myself I decided I should share some knowledge. I've recently rebuild basically my whole steering rack,so heres so Part numbers and photos for ya.

Part Numbers
45522-10021 steering bush $55 toyota....

This is where it goes

As u can see its an interference fit,so i placed the bearing in the freezer overnight to srink the bearing

Part Number
TO9031115002 dust seal $12 toyota....

this seal slides over the pinion

Part number
90363-13001 radial ball bottom pinion bearing( Note these bearings can be bought thru toyota ) I tried aftermarket and no luck.. $33 toyota japan
90363-15003 radial ball top pinion bearing $27 from toyota japan

Once again this bearing was placed in the freezer to shrink it,to remove the old bearing in the casting,lightly heat the casting for 20 seconds then tap on the bench and it should pop out

New bearing in the casing

trail fit of the pinion

Fitting the top bearing to the pinion,once again interference fit so a light heat of the bearing to slide onto the shaft

PETE

Jun 1, 2006
Newcastle
royaldrift.cjb.net

bearing in place ready for grease:)

this is the preload tensioner(thats wat i call it anyways) basically it loads the shaft so no play or unwanted movement in the rack..
Part Number
Quaife steering rack QSF22E002

Pinion difference between standard on left and Quaife on the right

Hope this helps u guys out abit. Hopefully the guys make it a sticky

evil86

Apr 25, 2007
Liverpool
im just trying to price up what iy cost you to do it, but you didnt put a price for the quaife steering rack

PETE

Jun 1, 2006
Newcastle
royaldrift.cjb.net
Ok guys i've had this in the car a week,and let me say,if ur after tight/responsive steering this is the gear for u!!!!!!! if u have pussy little arms and complain about parking ur manual steer 86, DONT bother, hard'n up........ So dont be a bitch and whinge about heavy steering!! Do this mod and u wont regret it........