Skizzamods ae86

skizzamods

Feb 28, 2010
SA
Hey, don't really get that into members ride threads but thought I might post mine up here. It's nothing special, still looks pretty average. The car is built for hills.

Specs

Car: 1984 Toyota Sprinter

Front End:
ae86 struts converted to coilovers.
5kg springs and helper springs
Bilstein inserts
AJPS RCA's
ae86 p/s arms
Standard rack, rebushed, with new rack ends and twin adjustable tie rod ends
Cusco strut brace
Cusco camber tops
Superpro swaybar and castor rod bushes
Re-balljointed LCA's with Superpro bushes

Rear End:
AJPS 3.5kg springs
AJPS spring seats
Bilstein Shocks
Superpro swaybar bushes
AJPS adjustable panhard rod
AJPS Traction Brackets
Superpro rebushed trailing arms

Wheels:
15x8 -4 Superlight GTR's with re002's

Interior:
Velo gp-90 seat
Nardi on HKB boss
Cusco gear knob
Broadway mirror
Jap passenger seat
Jap t50 shifter
Jap accelerator pedal

Driveline:
T-Series, Open with 3.9's

Brakes:
QFM A1RM pads
New lines

Motor:
4ac
Exhaust

Body:
Zenki lip
Kouki lights and parkers
OEM side skirts
Levin rain shield things

Paid for the car and drove straight out to the forrest for some rally.

Realised that I the past owners should have died driving this car. Basically a finger tight racer.

Missing castor rod bolts
Very loose engine mount
Finger tight exhaust
Missing gearbox mount bolt
Finger tight rear seat install
Etc, etc.

So then I threw fresh bushes and balljoints in throughout along with new pads.
6kg and 4.5kg spring rates went in too.

Bought some 15x8 -4 Superlite GTR lights.

That is my most recent image of the exterior.

Realised most of the interior was only held in by bolts finger tight so I removed it. Have a much needed AJPS harness brace going in too whenever thats ready. Also waiting to receive my bilstein coilovers from Lawson. They consist of 5kg springs, helper springs, bilstein inserts, cusco camber tops and braced stub axel. In the rear, bilstein shocks, 3.5kg springs and adjustable spring seats.

Thats about it.

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
awesome quality stuff being used

and i love reminiscing about the failures of previous owners..... mine thought he was a racing engineer.......he couldnt engineer how to use a fucking hammer....

Jamie86

Jan 18, 2010
gerringong
Just tagging along with previouse owner my fuel pump earth was a tekscrew through a wire and exhaust was tie wired at 1 point..it was the only point it was mounted

By the way sweet car all you need is 4age and you'll be set
just curious how much were front coilovers?

skizzamods

Feb 28, 2010
SA
It's pretty funny/disturbing to find some of the stupid things people have done. I don't think I can find many more surprises, the car has had almost everything pulled out and checked.

I've been trying to make my mind up whether I do 4age or not. 3sge is the favourable option down the track, I want to make this a pretty competitive car. But this won't happen for a while.

Coilovers came in around the 2k mark, and are definitley worth it as far as quality goes.

Thanks for reading!

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Respect for driving it hard. Don't go beams unless you got an easy 10k to spend or secret ninja welding skills and an ecu to suit dual vvti

skizzamods

Feb 28, 2010
SA
Respect for driving it hard. Don't go beams unless you got an easy 10k to spend or secret ninja welding skills and an ecu to suit dual vvti
Haha, no other option but to drive it hard if you want to keep up.
Yeah money is the trade off, but even if i had a mild to worked 4age I would be spending a bit and wouldn't be getting the gains of a beams.
Not to worry, I've still got plenty of other things I want to finish on the car before I leave the 4ac behind.

skizzamods

Feb 28, 2010
SA
Anyone have experience with Ultra Racing fender braces? Picked some of them up, I'm trying to brace it pretty thoroughly without going a cage.

Also picked up an 18mm Whiteline rear swaybar. I won't put it in until I put my locker back in and pick up a front though.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
I've herd the ultra racing braces have "bent" in some other cars while driving hard without any accidents or crashes, just purely bent from force.
That guy got a free replacement and it bent again with the same driving.. And this was just a tower strut brace. But I have no exerpience With these so can't say much

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
thats a design flaw of the tower brace specifically. the place the bends have been placed is the cause of the issues.

the fender brace is a much less stupid design, and probably worthwhile.... having said that ive never driven with them soo wouldnt really know.

and beams i recon i could do for 5 to 6 grand..... much much cheaper than the first time i did it lol

skizzamods

Feb 28, 2010
SA
Braces rocked up the other day, they seem like they should be decent quality.

My bride seat rail rocked up too, but that was a bit of a disaster. My Velo doesn't fit :( However, my Recaro Profi-SPG does,
but the cover is fucked, and it's a $400 exercise to replace it with a genuine cover. So, will probably sell my Velo to fund that :(

Seat sits super low now though which is a big positive.

skizzamods

Feb 28, 2010
SA
Received some goods the yesterday.

Consists of AJPS coilovers, Bilstein inserts, 5kg Springs with helper springs, braced stub axel, Cusco camber tops. Rears are Bilstein shocks, 3.5kg springs and adjustable spring seats.

Every thing looks really well made, haven't got it in to test it out but I'm sure it will impress. It was a bit of a toss up between these and the shockworks coilovers, but in the end there were some design things that I liked more in this set up. The camber top design for example, shockworks just looked a little more 'generic' in a way than the cusco, and haven't had any troubles with the last pair, so why change. Spring seats don't bolt in, they rely on the springs to hold them in place. They also don't run a helper spring in the front. Anyway, look forward to getting these in and getting some driving done.

skizzamods

Feb 28, 2010
SA
Car dropped back on the ground last night.
It's too low really, so will probably be raised about 30mm.. Rear spring seats still need the rings, so that will automatically raise the rear too.

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Being able to turn corners and go over bumps without doing damage are more important than looking hektik. Keep up the good work mate!

Justin...

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
but im all about the hektik bro!!!!!!

the real magic comes from being able to do all the things you mentioned justin.... AND be hektik :p

skizzamods

Feb 28, 2010
SA
Cheers, I'm a fan of how it sits now, but yeah it is a bit low for driving flat out on
shit roads. 30mm up and it will still sit pretty nicely I think, while being practical.

Looking hektik whilst driving flat out is where it's at.

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
but im all about the hektik bro!!!!!!

the real magic comes from being able to do all the things you mentioned justin.... AND be hektik :p
Except for when you try and do it all above a walking pace. Then it ends in tears. Park yourself out the front of maccas at silverwater or krispy kreme's at liverpool sometime if you're ever in Sydney and you'll know what I mean. Slammed IS200's on 20's,speed bumps and tight driveways don't go together well,especially when the car is five up with the driver and all of his cousins.

There's an equation somewhere for this,similar to the 'fast,cheap,reliable - you can have any two'.