Running in the 90s, zenki love

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
got some fiber glass side skirts. basically free and for temporary use until i can afford Navans or Kouki aero skirts. Car does look better with side skirts

Oh and their TRUST branded as the label shows under the layers of fiber glass on the back..

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
^ lol yeah, this car is a major troll

just another photo from that last track day i came across.

nothing has changed on the car since, another track day in May I'm aiming to attend and maybe this time i'll get some video, dont think i'll dip into 1:10 unless i get half decent tyres and a wheel alignment+sort my soft brakes, the semis i have are being used daily and they are starting to slip, which is ok for them random "i fucking got this" moment, all for the lols

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
so the girlfriend got me a genuine brand new Nardi Classic to suit my 90s theme. Best

The boss kit she bought doesn't quiet suit the nardi horn so using the boss kit horn for the time being, looks decent so will just leave it for now.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
installed nardi horn now, looks much better

Went to get a wheel alignment after work yesterday, car has not received one since ive owned the car, i installed new coilovers, new castor rod, went to wakefiled with no alignment, got a 1:11.

Anyways so the alignment machine showed that the camber were even at the fronts and even on the rears, toe was all over the place and castor, left was +8.5 and right was +6.5.

front
-4 camber, surprised the Feds RSR has no harsh camber wear yet after 5months of street driving! lol
+6.5 castor, both sides even now
-1 toe out, -0.5 each side

rear camber is something like -1.5 each side, left toe arm is a little bent and didn't really pay attention so forgot the reading, right is stock and not bent.

anyways with this new setup, massive front turn in improvement, so much that the car was clearly oversteering, it felt like a drift setup, the rear end was just getting washed out straight while the front was turning in, so easy to loose the rear end, NOT what i wanted but not much can be done on the rear until i get more adjustable rear arms.

I did overcome this within a few minutes with less mid corner steering input, im straightening up early then i did before which counter the rear oversteer which also in theory should make for fast corner exit, like they say best mod is improving your driving skills.

now to test this at up coming NSCC track day lol

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
NSCC,oh there's some memories...

I'd suggest 2mm total toe OUT on the front. You'll get better turn in.

On the rear,ideal for street use/semis on the track is camber 1.25deg neg,and 2mm total toe IN.

Justin...

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
ive been advise of that by a lot of nissan guys lol, i'll see how my alignment goes for now, feels good already anyways

So installed the HFM BM57 Brake Master Cylinder upgrade 17/16" 27mm piston bore, http://holfordmotors...&product_id=194
and also some 2nd hand braided brake lines i picked up, goodridge set to replace my dodgy UK goodridge spec and stock rear lines.
a bit of a stuff around since the stock hard line for the rears on the BMC were too short and was no where near the new BMC rear brake hole.. had to custom something up, lucky for me i had the old braided brake lines to use.. banjo bolt into the new BMC for the rear and the braided line into the stock rear hard line, kinda dodgy but works.

At first it felt worse then the stock BMC, but over night seemed to improved, pedel has a lower point in the brakes now then before which is weird and its a lot more firm all the way when it comes on which is good. Have to sus out why my pedal bite point has dropped though.

Also found out my front left tyre has a flat spot all the way down that you can see the fibers underneath the rubber, so its pretty much stuffed and not even good for daily let alone 1 track day.

got some used 16" semis already lined up so will see how everything goes on Sunday now.

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Why'd you fit a Z32 master cylinder? The proportioning is different with more bias to the rear which will make it feel a bit odd.
Check that the pushrod distance to the master is the same for both cylinders. if the new one is deeper,that could be a part of why your pedal 'bite' seems further down the travel as the cylinder is doing nothing for half a mm or so. I doubt that's the problem,but it is possible.

Make sure you've bled it out properly as well,especially if you didn't bleed the master on the bench prior to fitting it. That combo of brake lines sounds quite dodgy,and is instant red sticker defect if it's spotted. Brakes are the last thing you want to be half-arsed about.

Regards,

Justin...

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Massive fail track day due to tyres, but i was expecting that already.

255/40/17 My street Feds 595 RS-R up front
225/45/16 on the rears, used and old as Dunlop semis slicks.

1st fail, the 16s would not mount correctly on my front spacers, so had to use my street up front
2nd fail, all tyres were worn and shit, mixed and match the best condition tyres i had to use
3rd fail, fuel cut at 180kmph before the watch tower on the main straight due to 16s on the rears, but really i was maybe only doing 140-150kmph or less.. 180kmph in 4th gear at 6500 rpm, not sure if trolling or a seriously fast car lol

on the bright side i found the perfect drift tyre combination for my car,
first kink after the straight car would coast out wide sideways, foot brake to shift more while locking up rear right brakes too to get the rear end out more, power down to light up the tyres, counter and hold, after apex and exit corner straighten up the car..top section with multiple turns, bsaically entry drift on all corners, fish hook drift that, small left bend after fish hook, yup drift that too, quick turn right, you guessed it, sideways, back straight, locked up again to last corner, exit drift and down the main straight..

1:16 all day everyday reasonably drifting the track not on purpose, even though i was no where near my fastest time, it was shit loads of fun driving it like i just stole it.

the new BMC works great, though i think it was leaking, not sure if it was just stains from the installation or from being used, will double check to be sure though. Last thing i want is to keep a faulty BMC in the car.

After the 3 sessions i decided i had enough, no point doing more damage to the engine and transmission, packed up and went home.

Next track day is in June, which is just around the corner. need to buy new street tyres to use daily so might not be able to afford proper semi slicks before then. will see what happens

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
small dates

Just installed a 4.11 vlsd from a r33 gtst, with the 5 bolt CV to match, so much better then the 4.083 even if its only a minor difference
Ratio is JUST right now, anything higher and i dont think it will be street friendly anymore

what ive noticed so far
Brakes work better + engine braking
no more sounding like something is broken (previous diff was tightly shimmed and dogshit of a diff)
power is more gradual from low to high revs so feels like a NA engine now but with boost, basically can use all the rev range for power instead of trying to keep it on full boost all the time.
gear changing/rev matching is much smoother, leads to a more comfy and smoother ride/thrashing
no more understeer on corner entry

also got a set of brand new 255/40/17 Hankook z221 in soft for them random track days.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
been productive the last few days, sold the old shimmed diff off, bought a Buddy club bucket seat with rails to suit for nearly nothing, and finally got around to installing the T28bb i had laying in the garage.

Turbo was a bit of a drag to install, almost 12 hours it took to install.. why? because of the exhaust manifold was still connected to this shit pipe that goes behind the head back to the inlet throttle body, oil/water hard lines were bullshit to work with, besides that everything else worked ok and the turbo isn't blown so that was a gamble i won LOL!.

full boost (10-11psi) at 3400-3500 and pulls hard to redline
acceleration comes on a lot smoother then the t28 bush bearing too

Happy days

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Current mod list and new PB time! 20/06/2013

Nissan S14
Stock ECU
T28bb turbo
11 psi
ebay ASI alloy rad
FMIC
cat back Fujitsubo RM-01A
Buddyclub racing spec coilovers
hard race adj castor rods
unknown adj rear camber arm
Soft compound 255/40/17 Hankook z221 all round
full complete interior
Front Evo brembo brakes with RDA slotted/dimpled rotors - still same stock pads as last time
4.11 VLSD OEM R33 GTST skyline diff
got a Wheel alignment done at the front this time round
rears is basically still stock

I spent the early mornings helping and driving other peoples car just for the experience and fun times.
I found that my driving style and lines are very well suited to the RWD format more then the FWD. In this case it was a stock DC5R with coilovers with Federals RS-R and it just would not turn. Again i know its FWD and i should be driving in a different way but no, i didnt enjoy it and just felt boring to me, i did get the rear end out sideways about 120kmph a few times and that was about as much fun as i got from it, very lucky to have not spun out to be honest LOL.

Then the owner of the DC5R drove my car and in his words "this is so easy to turn, so nice and fun, and scary", in his defence it the first time his ever driven a RWD on any track, and it just had to be a turbo car lol

Passengered in a few cars, one car was a friends fast 1:06 capable 180sx, though it was only doing 1:07 on this day because of slight issues, but god damh its fast.

i was still testing and trying to use up all my fuel in the tank to lose weight before i start chasing lap times, which means i was on street tyres all morning just testing and having fun i guess. quickest was a 1:15 on street tyres and mucking about

after lunch time, it was game time, serious poker face on.
i still had half a tank of fuel but time was coming short and i needed to put down a fast time.
Hankook Semis were installed. fresh and brand new like straight from the factory itself.

Rolled out of the pitlane onto the track and yup, straight away i came off at the first corner into the dirt! LOL i was only going about 60kmph and just straight under steered, it was like i was driving on ice! so much for looking after my tyres!

it took about 2-3 slow laps to get some heat into them at 30% pace, then gradually going about 50% pace to work the tyres better, then about 70-80% to really put heat into them. Frequent tyre pressure checks where made before any fast driving could be done. Also some spins and off track action in the process LOL.

When the temps in the tyres went up, and the pressure was set alright, i got down to business.

First fast lap and i already banked 1:11, so i already matched my current PB time
Second fast lap and 1:10, felt pretty easy
Thrid time lucky and i got 1:09.49!

Now with that i still had just under half a tank of fuel, still trying to get use to driving on semis and finding its limits.

Now i know why its so frustating when there is traffic on the track because i would catch up to the car in front a lost faster then previous time which then just kills the lap time when im going for it.

I let the car and tyres cool down a bit before my last try to dip into the 1:08

Last session for me of the day and best i got was

I was happy with the time and thought it wasn't worth pushing the car and tyres further, i know a 1:08 is easy now with a few adjustments to the setup as it is but that can wait for a while. Time to catch up with my personal life first.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
So I installed R33 GTST rear brakes over the weekend, basically direct fit to the s14 rear knuckles, was an interesting conversion like all conversions. Never having done this before and second guessing everything, with a little help over the phone from a mate who had just done the same to their s15 a few months back, was sorted after 6-7 hours lol. Had a few set backs but it would of been an easy 3 hour job if i were to do it all over again now without unexpected setbacks and correct tools on hand.

Anyways found out i didn't have any broken wheel bearings. More likely the unknown adjustable camber arm in the rear that came with the car, must of been close to dying anyways and the amount of track time it copped in a short period took its toll on the rose-joint. Whole rear end will have a make over anyways and the fronts too

So the brakes, they felt the same as the silvia to be honest, except the hand brakes works properly now. BUT i spoke too soon.
They work very well when you really need to cut down your speed, 100 to 0 for example. It basically balanced out the Evo Brembos ive got up fronts and the larger BMC is working very well now with this combo. Still using all them standard used pads that came with the brakes, it will stop even better when replaced with proper hardware.

My 2 cents says its well worth the upgrade.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Coming close to the end of Stage 1 with my car, I got busy over the weekend.

I installed the rears only so far, to do the front would require a wheel alignment straight away to be safely drivable and by the time i had finished the rears no wheel alignment shops would be open, so the front has been left for another day.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
so got everything done, fronts, rears, full alignment by the shops to my specs

( roughly )
Front
Caster; +8 deg
Camber; -2.1?
Toe; total 2 toe out

Rears
Camber; - 2
Toe; total 2 toe in

In general it turns in well as expected, under heavy brakes or acceleration the rear end is super stable and doesn't want to step out and dance, so that means i can hold a better line + give it more throttle before the apex hopefully (ae86 style, full throttle around the whole corner FTW)

I'll just dial in more camber when at the tracks but other then that everything else feels spot on for a daily car lol.

Need to hit a drift event to see how well balance the car is in a different perspective.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney

Just tuned my car to be 300kmph! lol trollz

I have the stock white background version that came with the car and i've never really liked it to be honest (looked too Ladbrosexspecstyle), I'd rather the stock black background one but stumbled upon these and it was way too cool not to buy.

these stock factory option gauges would pull a premium before trackwars.