Running in the 90s, zenki love

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney

copied from brothers blog, more pictures at http://redsprinter.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/midnight-mods-on-the-s14/

"Tonights result ..
Buddy Club Race Spec Coilovers installed
Ride height adjusted
DIY Lip installed

… still needs better wheels (LOL)
After a busy ass day of serving customers, and fitting tyres on rims (in a 35 degree oven-workshop),I’m properly buggered. Its past midnight and I’m still up tapping away on the keyboard. GAH!
This afternoon my brother and some mates dropped by to get his new Buddyclub Racing Spec Coilovers installed .
Since taking ownership of the S14, his complained that the suspension was a real let downer, “it just doesn’t feel like its working, like the shocks are dead and the its riding on the springs, even when I set them to soft”. So looking at the option we had available at work I suggested we try a set of Buddyclubs, since the guys at work have had good success with them in the past and doing some of our own research; others who have used them, have but nothing good to say about them, he pulled the trigger and got a set.
Being a track minded person he opted for a set of Buddyclub Racing Spec Coilovers.
And the results= Mind Blown,
“The difference is night and day, the suspension actually feels like its working, I can feel the tyres grip. Its funny cause it feels like a good set of shocks and springs (lol), the ride is firm but comfortable and when its travelling on uneven roads, I can feel the suspension travel in a good way, whereas the old coilovers I felt like I was smashing, bouncing and skipping across the road, its pretty sick man”.
While following him from behind I did notice that the car’s body was more complaint, instead of constantly bouncing up and down or sharp up and down jolts, the springs were absorbing the different loads from the road, while the dampers slowed everything down and kept the body at a steady, level state.
The next test for the Buddyclub coilovers will be at a race track, to see if it lives up to its “Racing Spec” name. Richard has already booked himself in for a track day on the 26th of March at Wakefield. So I’m super interested to see what he thinks of them out on the track. Stay tuned ."

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
end of March '13 Track day prep progress

should be receiving the below in near future

OEM kouki spoiler
Gktech Rocker arm stoppers
Goodridge braided brake lines
Evo front Brembo calipers already got
caliper adopter plate for said brembo

next pay will be new disc rotors, pads, and shop for my own set of wheels and tyres if i can afford it.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
So i got some R33 GTR wheels now, 17x9 +30 with Feds RSR 255/45 or 40 i think all round. not the best condition but it'll do for now.
had to use 15mm bolt on spacers for the tyres to clear the front coilovers, should be able to get away with 235 tyres and a 5mm spacer at most later on.
rears are perfect.

issue 1.
had a shake down test over the weekend and my god the Buddyclubs racing spec coilovers are so good around bumpy uneven surface.
The brakes on the other hand are a big fail, rear pads are basically gone and front rotors are most likely warped now, has vibration only when braking at high speed (100kmph) which only happened after the shake down. still waiting for my brake items to come so i can run them Lancer brakes.

issue 2.
had fuel surge or fuel cut when going on/off throttle.. figured it must be the boost controller/AFM/stock ECU that isnt happy with the 10psi, disabled the Bc and ran stock 5-6psi and that fixed the problem so wont be boosting this car anymore until i can get it all together with a tune.

issue 3.
car can only be driven for about 7minutes before it has heating issues. Need a bigger radiator and oil cooler to fix this

issue 4.
needs a wheel alignment lol

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Issue two could be fuel flow,change the filter if you haven't already,it's a very common problem as most people are lazy with service items. Stuffed plugs losing spark under boost can seem like a 'fuel cut' also. It'll run perfectly on light load,but as soon as you nail it and up the load on the motor,it breaks down.

Issue three sounds like something other than radiator size.... No car of any description should overheat that quickly.

Issue four: go see Josh at pro concept for this,he's spot on and will set exactly what you ask for as well as diagnose any potential issues you might have.

Justin...

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
i should say 7minutes of non stop hard driving.. though i did expect it to be longer then 7minutes and for it to not get THAT hot as it did. owell radiator upgrade is part of the plan anyways

just received my goodridge braided lines at work. had a quick look, not sure if its a front and rear set or just for the fronts, though i was under the impression that it was front and rear, but im not bothered if its only the fronts as that is priority at the moment.

will take some updated pictures of the car after work

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
i should say 7minutes of non stop hard driving.. though i did expect it to be longer then 7minutes and for it to not get THAT hot as it did. owell radiator upgrade is part of the plan anyways
Shouldn't make any difference,no engine should blow it's cool that fast. You've clearly got an issue some where. Bleed and top up the system first and check flow through the radiator. Make sure the thermostat is working properly also,there's always the chance that some idiot has removed it before you bought the thing.

Justin...

Delazy

Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
Definitely got a issue somewhere...I've seen many s14s pushing 250rwkw+ complete 15min drift sessions on open track...

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Definitely got a issue somewhere...I've seen many s14s pushing 250rwkw+ complete 15min drift sessions on open track...
And I've driven with one that made 230kw atw hard in places like the 'northern Sydney private test track' for hours on end that never got above 90deg.c. for oil or water temps the whole time. Even doing supersprints at wakefield it never blew it's top.

My own S14 had 175kw atw with a stock cooling system and I used to punish it and it never had an issue.

My first guess is tha you have a major airlock in the system and/or possibly a siezed thermostat. Check it out before you blow the head gasket.

Justin...

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Internet is pretty shit so i thought i'll make one of these, its a draft and its not a guide for idiots, it wont have every step by step, only the important ones to do the conversion, i'll take more pictures and update again later on as i didnt get a chance to take many while in the process, overall its an easy conversion and a lot cheaper then going GTR brembos and they perform better then the GTR brembos stock for stock apparently :like:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to install Lancer Evo 7 to 9 Brembo in your Nissan Silvia (s14/s15)

This is for S14 or S15 as both are already 5x114.3, same as Lancer EVO

##Minimum requirements##

- Evo Brembo Calipers, 7 to 9 are all the same, im not too sure about 6 so im just saying 7 to 9
- Adopter plates for the calipers or Dog bone as they call it.. best price anywhere is from here, http://www.madparts.net/version-2-evo-89-to-nissan-240sx-brembo-caliper-conversion-br289240.html
- Evo front brake rotors, 320mmx32mm, your choice of stock, RDA, DBA, whatever is up to you
- Evo brake pads, your choice of what pads you want to use
- Brake lines to suit..please note: STOCK S14 BRAKE LINES DID NOT MATCH THE BREMBO CALIPERS!

**17 inch wheels with spoke design to clear calipers, or use spacers to clear**

from gathering info similar specs to 17x9 +15 should clear
R33 GTR rims will clear these with no spacers required for caliper clearance and have plenty of space still

just depends on rim spoke design

As seen below, Brembo calipers, dog bone, and new RDA rotors

To start
- take off the brake lines on the nissan calipers
- take off the calipers
- nissan rotors will then come off
- trim down the backing plate or take it off, trim is faster/less fucking around/less effort if the right tools for me

note: If you are trimming, dummy fit the dog bone in place and trim where required as the backing plate will hit the dog bone, so trim where necessary, how much is up to you but just make it fit and its good to go.

- When all trimming or removal of backing plate is done, its a straight forward bolt on process
- bolt the dog bone onto the knuckles
- slip on the EVO Rotors, yes Evo rotors goes straight on with no modification needed
- then bolt the calipers to the dog bone
- install the brake pads, NOTE: remember to push the caliper pistons down for easy pad install
- install the brake lines,FYI: again cannot use stock nissan lines, will not suit the brembo calipers
- bleed the brakes
- done and dusted

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My story

Now my calipers didn't come with the stock bolts to mount up when i bought it so i went to the best auto shop where most street race cars are built and got some of these bolts

Thanks Bunnings Warehouse

this fitted perfect, was the correct length to go through the dogbone and into the calipers (will update pictures laters)

being very short on money i had to use whatever pads the calipers came with, and they were old and dirty

- find a flat concrete surface
- run the pads in figure eights to sand them down
- good to use again permitted they're still in good condition, no cracks or other damage on the pads

My pads are still uneven with high and low spots as you can see, dark areas are low points and shinny lighter areas are high points, i'll have to pull them out and do more figure eight sanding for best surface pad area on the rotors before i start to dig too deep into the new rotors as it is.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
time for some shit talking

Rotors are heavy as fuck, i would even say 3 times more then the stock nissan s14 rotor.
Brembo caliper is light as fuck though, but doesn't balance it out with the rotors, no way
stopping power is already improved even with used random unknown pads, more weight, and will only get better when i run some better products.
could use a bigger BMC but the stock one is good and usable as it is, will upgrade it later anyways

but whats really important is how good they look behind the wheels LOL

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
My Nissan barely survived its first track day today at Wakefield. It isn't a track day without its dramas.

The S14 still has its outburst of over heating issues after sometime of hard driving, and then it was over heating during mid flying lap or just right at the end of each flying lap. It needed a good 20min or so break each time to allow for a fast lap without any over heating issue in between, but it will still over heat if pushed for too long.

long story short

Early morning, already smashed my AE86 time by 3 seconds

Mid day after playing around with damper settings and tyre pressure

Last 15minute of the day, i got my new PB

it would of been nice to achieve a 1 minute 10, but with this over heating issue it just didn't allow enough time to be driving on the limit for a long period of time. Though i did clock over 50 laps today easy, gearbox, clutch, brakes, engine is hating me right about now.

NEW PB 1:11:62

specs

Nissan S14
Stock ECU
8-9 psi
FMIC
Buddyclub racing spec coilovers
Federals RSR
full complete interior
Evo brembo brakes - assuming stock pads to suit
tight Shimmed R200 4.083 diff
no wheel alignment on the car since installed coilovers and adj caster rod

great day for sure

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Byebye peashooter, you will be missed

picked up a Fujitsubo cat back exhaust from a s15 over the weekend by accident (near brand new), not sure which model it is yet but so far its looks to be a legalis R, but might be a power getter too, will have to double check markings and serial numbers as we installed it straight away due to over excitement lol.

its as quiet as the pea shooter, a bit louder when past 5000rpm but only just so its no difference to ears, but performance wise is of coarse outstanding.
its revs cleanly all the way to red line now.

cant go wrong with Fujitsubo for performance and street use in the one.

Also got a Greddy 13 row oil cooler core and braided lines, have to find the spare Greddy oil block adopter to use otherwise will have to buy a new one if its lost which most likely is, not too happy about that since it wasn't mine

not suppose to be spending money on the car but good bargain is a good bargain and free shit like the oil cooler core and braided lines is a no brainier lol