Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
sure will

so this was the weekend project

Step 1. buy a Dremel so you dont have to use a hand drill again

Step 2. Mark out what needs to be cut to match the gasket

Step 3. cut out what you have marked

Step 4. Grind the ports just enough to suit the new port size you have created, don't over kill it because your still a noob.

Step 5. Sand it all out with sandpaper and your index finger

Step 6. polish it

So that was my weekend project that i winged..

i"m years away from being a professional but this shit is fun

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Thanks Trent

yeah if i went super slow i would of had less deep grind marks and what not, but it'll do the job

so since i installed the whole T3 suspension catalog and got a wheel alignment + i lowered the rear end about 2cm more, i wasn't happy with the rear now with an over-steer behavior, so assuming since i lowered it 2cm more, i must of stuffed up the rear end grip even more.. so trolling on google for info and ideas on how to get around this, plus i had lost crazy amount of torque from 1000-4500rev which made my car feel like a normal 16v bigport, i had purchased these off ebay last week and it arrived today, so i got busy after work this afternoon

Pinon Angle TEST Chapter 1.
-=DIFF=-
picture reads left to right so you get a rough idea on how the scale works, it should make sense if you just keep reading on

<Left is back of the diff, exhaust exit direction - Right is front of the diff, connected to tail shaft>

so basically this picture shows the front of my diff was pointing upwards, +Positive i'll call it, +5

Tail shaft
<reading left side is connection to diff - right side of picture is towards gearbox

and this picture shows the tailshaft connection at the diff is pointing down/sagging down, -negative i'll call it, -3.5 or -4 give or take

and then after playing with the top adjustable links on the diff (extending the arms), below are the results

Diff

Tailshaft

the front of the diff now sits at +8
the tailshaft connection at the diff is -1..almost 0 degree

now i think i stuffed up because i didn't set the tool on the correct position on the diff and im not going to head back into my garage and do it again.. but i'll just work with this data for now even if its most likely a wrong reading..my bad

TEST DRIVE RESULT
- rear end has plenty of grip, so much now that my front under-steers at the same point where it would over steer before
- it now gets all and every torque this 1.6L can dish out onto the road, the difference was very obvious
- rear end feel stiffer
- a little less noise coming from the rears then before now

the first 2 were very noticeable things since the change, and i guess its a very good starting point.
the last two im 50% sure about, but i'll have to drive it a bit more to confirm

i dont mind the understeer though stretch tyres front and rear doesn't help much with this too, maybe normal fitting tyres would benefit more from this change but i dont have any to test with at the moment.

so to wrap it up, i can confirm and say in confidence that

diff pointing up, more grip
diff pointing down or lower, less grip

next step is now to slowly "tune" this to get the best result

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
well the car was handling perfect upfront before i played with the pinon angle so im just going to keep playing with the pinon angle to get it more even from grip and slip

fronts are something like this

camber -2.3
caster +4
total 2 toe out
lower control arm extended, dont know how many mm but i would guess a good 15mm over standard if not more

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
^^ Indeed,which is why I didn't jump in earlier. Swaybar size and settings,damper choice,ride height,wheel width,front RCA size and design,track,rear arm design,all of these make a difference.

Justin...

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
tyres are Yokohama S Drives 195/50/15 stretched as F$*K on 15x8.5-6 and 15x9 -13 watanabes

sway bars are stock ae86 items

at the moment it drives like i have a locker in my car since the pinon angle changed so i'll just have to keep playing with it.

Car has a 2way LSD in case your wondering..

after work today i'll be quickly adjusting the pinon angle again..see what happens after =p

medan

Nov 10, 2006
western sydney
Im not really sure what you were measuring by comparing the pinion angle to the tailshaft angle, but it might be more beneficial to match the diff angle to the output of the gearbox angle. Do the same measurments on the gearbox and see how close it is to the pinion angle.

I dont see how the pinion angle can really have any effect on anything besides vibration and wearing out the uni joints. Unless the tiny amount of toe which is preset into the diff then changes due to the diff rotating? Even then I have my doubts whether it would even be noticable..

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Handling is out the window until you get tyres with some compliance. 225's at least on wheels that wide. You're never going to have grip with that much stretch and 195's are too narrow for any real cornering speed anyway.

Justin...

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Justin on the track yes, but on the street it still does the job, and allows enough slip for the random happy tail slides which is personal preference.

Adan I think the reason why people measure from the tailshaft end is because it's 2 piece, the first half is mounted onto the chassis and the angle won't change as it's connected to the gearbox, which then the gearbox is mounted to the chassis again so the angle on these two won't change at all unless your engine has lower engine mount or something then I guess both these two will have different angle.. But I can assure you, pinoin angle pointing up puts the power onto the road and diff at 0 or negative will make your tyres slip like it's on ice. I don't doubt this information at all, so if your asking what is the best angle to set your diff at, I just have to say get under it, set it to what you think will suit you and test drive and repeat..

I just now shorten the top arm links about 2 threads shorter and again the grip and handling has changed in the rear.
It doesn't understeer as much as before but it's more nutural now again which is good.

The rear end now slips a little bit more which I think is why it's not understeering as much as before and it's still putting the torque down and still has less vibration so I think I'm at a sweet spot with this.. Am happier with this current setup now

medan

Nov 10, 2006
western sydney
Google "setting up pinion angle"

The point is that you usually want the transmission output angle and pinion angle to be the same. Or in this case, the diff and the front half of the tailshaft. You basically want the angles in each pair of uni joints to "cancel each other out".

The pinion angle is not really tool for tuning the suspension, even though it does seem to highlight other issues you may have.

Either way, as long as it feels good is all that matters....

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Justin on the track yes, but on the street it still does the job, and allows enough slip for the random happy tail slides which is personal preference.
If what you're after is minimal grip,then yes,the tyres you're running on the size wheels you're running will be fine. If you actually want to turn corners at speed either on the road or on the track,you need to give them some compliance to allow the tyre to actually grip the road instead of skating across it, which means going much wider on the wheels you currently have. The car will be faster with the same tyres on a 7" rim,with no other changes made,I'll put money on it.

My personal preference is to go faster when modifying my cars over looking good. if I want to slide around,I'll chuck cheap shit tyres on and go at it until I get it out of my system,then the proper stuff goes back on. The likely reason you're running 195's is because they're cheap as compared to wider sizes,and also because you want to slide around,and that's fair enough. If you want to actually go fast though,you'll need to go about it a different way.

Justin...

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
Thanks Delazy, was good to meet you in person

Updates:

about to buy some Sam-Q velocity stacks to suit the ST ITB setup so i can get the ball going with this.

Things that will happen before 2013
*need to stock up on 15' skidders and tyres, as in maybe another brand new set of watannabes =D
*get some 225/50/15 semi slicks to set a bench mark PB time at Wakefiled Park
*quick paint job to have it look a bit more decent..

2013 planning
*no more modifications
*track time and fine tune available mods
*enter world time attack challenge for club sprint and hope they accept me for the LOLs

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
bahding!

was spotted at WTAC Friday and became infamous over facebook, got about 8 more likes then Beau Yates car did.. bragging rights =p

i cant wait to make this thing 1 colour