Ressurecting a car after storage

evil86

Apr 25, 2007
Liverpool
Situation : I've got a car and its been in storage for 3 years. Motor was good and fine, nothing suspected wrong. What must i do before i crank the car.

all i can think of is
1. dump old fuel
2. check battery
3. do i need to do anything else with the engine. i've heard you take out the plugs and spray wd40 in the chambers for it to lube up and spin the crank by hand couple of times before you crank it.
4. Do i service the car before or after i start it?

if theres anything anyone can add please do so

Tim.duncan

Nov 11, 2008
Snowy mountains
oil has a life span, after 3 years surely all the additives have started to brake down

I would dump the oil, buy something decent but cheap start the motor maybe run it around the block get it hot then change it again with proper oil.

might want to put a fresh fuel filter in it aswell

ke_70

Feb 26, 2010
barossa
new oil and fuel is all i'd worry about. do the filters too.

i usually do spark plugs when i change oil for the sake of $30 you can replace there to.

horse

Administrator
May 22, 2006
Melbourne
dump oil and filter, replace with something simple.
take out sparks plugs and check if they're still ok, pour a bit of new oil down each cylinder (teaspoon) and let it sit for a bit.
Refit plugs and leads
remove EFI Fuse
hand crank the the engine
let it sit for 10 mins
crank engine until oil pressure light goes off
place EFI fuse back in and fire away

keep in mind you will get a bit of smoke coming out but just let it warm up and it'll clear out eventually.

ericbosloor

I am still able to recall my personal encounter when I had my motorcycle up in storage for only a year which included a few months of winter as well. Hence, I had a really tough time trying to get it to work like before. The oil froze and broke the interiors and I was not even able to start it up in order to warm it up a little. It was nowhere near working condition, thus I simply sold it off as scrap metal and got me a new precious ride.