Ped Rac3r's AE85 Build thread

Ped Rac3r

May 29, 2010
New Zealand
Hey mate why not go kelway manifold? Shorter and good flow?
Just did a quick google to see what they look like, as Ive never heard of them before. Looks like they have quite a steep merge collector, and not equal length either, turbo looks like it will sit pretty high up like the previous manifold I built which I dont really like after making the new manifold. To make one is relatively cheap, each 1 1/4" SCH 40 90deg bend costs $3.50 (NZD), and the SCH 40 pipe is about $20 a metre, so all up I spent about $100 inlcuding consumables (welding wire, argon, grinding wheels etc).

Mirko

Mar 25, 2013
Australia
Wow that cheap but the rest of us don't have ur fab skills dude so we have to pay for it lol unless ur gonna start selling them cheaper

Ped Rac3r

May 29, 2010
New Zealand
Last update I had some issues bolting the new manifold up. Purchased a Helicoil kit from Trade Tools, they’re not cheap as I found out, but everything worked out perfectly in the end. Was pretty stoked! Did all 3 holes

With the manifold and turbo now bolted up for good, I made the wastegate pipe. Ended up being pretty funky!

Fabbed up a new down pipe, pretty much the same as the old one which my brother is going to be using, just a few different bojangles as I cut and rewelded a section of the down pipe to make room for the wastegate pipe.

Machined up an o2 bung, welded it onto the bottom of the down pipe, and said cut and welded section.

That basically wraps up the exhaust side of things, just need to make a few changes to the intercooler piping on the turbo side and it will be ready to go back on the dyno and have its long awaited final tune. Just realised its already May, has been 4 months since Ive had the new motor together and still havent done any proper driving.

On another note, ordered some new lips from Gavin Bateman to widen a few more wheels, they turned up the other day.

I may have mentioned I bought the wheels off trademe for cheap a while back, but I had never used them. They are Dunlop TE’s, something I had never seen before. They are now 8j at -15 offset, could of gone wider but I can fit whatever tire I want on these and know I wont have clearance issues. Lips will be getting polished next week, and the centers painted.

Ped Rac3r

May 29, 2010
New Zealand
A little more progress to show, I had to machine up another one of these

This rotates the intercooler elbow that bolts to the compressor housing 60 degrees, so that it points to the front of the car.

Welded a boss on to said elbow, added a 90 deg hose barb for a pressure signal to the wastegate.

Bolted it up to the adaptor I machined earlier and fitted it on the turbo, which meant I could finish installing all the hose joiners and clamps. Ditched all the blue joiners and went for black stuff, also went to an 3″ intake pipe instead of the 2.5″ I was using previously.

With that done it means its pretty much all sorted, except I decided to relocate the boost control solenoid to reduce the length of the lines. Hopefully It will be on a dyno within the next few weeks. Oh and because race car, I made a racing light weight race pipe for racing because race car loud race pipe tip… yeah.

Basically just a 3″ tip, put a V-band on it so I can swap back to the muffler if noise becomes an issue

Ped Rac3r

May 29, 2010
New Zealand
Had my car all back together a few weeks back, but in typical fashion, decided to pull some more shit off it so it wasnt going haha. The AE85 fuel tank has always been a pain, from mounting the fuel pump, to the lack of baffling and the surge you get below half a tank of gas… Made the decision to finally sort this out by putting a proper surge tank setup in it. Bought a Bosch 044 and a 10 micron Aeromotive filter from NZ Performance. Always a pleasure dealing with them!

So after talking with NZEFI about whether I’d be able to use the Bosch 044 on the same electrical circuit as the DW300 pump (which shares with the ignition), we came to the conclusion that I would be pushing the current draw to high, and also the fact the DW300 pump wouldnt be suitable as a lift pump I purchased a low pressure lift pump to replace the DW300. The good thing about this lift pump is that it only draws 1amp, so it drops the current draw to much more suitable level. NZEFI have been really helpful with any questions and queries Ive had since purchasing the Link G4+ Atom from them.

Pulled the tank out to drop the new lift pump in, and I could see a fair amount of sediment in there, aswell as really small fragments of what looked like rust in the DW300 filter sock… Not something I want going through my new pumps or injectors! 15mins researching of how to clean a fuel tank and I found that hydrochloric acid was recommended, which was good as I had 15-20L of this. So stripped the old paint off the outside of the tank, filled the tank up with hydrochloric acid diluted with water. For anyone doing this at home, make sure you’re wearing suitable protective gear, dont want to get any of this stuff on your skin or breathe in the fumes! Let the acid do its thing for a few hours, drained it, then filled it back up with water and a few cups of baking soda to neutralise the acid. After draining that, the tank basically looked like new inside, stoked! I filled it back up again with water and some “Super Ripper” cleaner, let that soak to remove anything left behind and went through a lengthy drying process which involved pumping hot air through it with a heat gun. With inside clean I masked off the holes and removed any rust on the outside, painted it with a rust kill etch primer and then finished it in satin black.

I just needed to get the lift pump in there. Was sick of staring at this old fuel pump cradle…

Soooooo I made a new one. Machined up a few pieces and welded the lot together, added some Fragola -6 adaptors so I can run braided line from the tank to surge and vice versa.

Just waiting on the sealed electrical bulk head from Motorsport Electronics to finish the cradle off at this stage. As always, I will have a few more updates next week for anybody that cares haha.

Ped Rac3r

May 29, 2010
New Zealand
That looks like a simple and clean setup!
Cheers. Probably going to make an access panel in the floor, so I'll be able to get to the lift pump in the tank, and to attach the lines. Hopefully wont have to drop it out again.

Nice man but was reading into it a little myself and found this "Fabric elements not suitable for use in E85 or alcohol applications." http://www.nzperformance.co.nz/fuel-filter-aeromotive/10-micron-orb-10-black-fuel-filter.html
Yeah that's okay, only running this on pump gas anyway. If I ever decide to run E85 (more than likely wont happen) I can swap out the filter element for a stainless item instead, as well as I'd probably have to change pumps and injectors.

Thanks Garth!

Ped Rac3r

May 29, 2010
New Zealand
Nice. U should sell those custom senders just paid 170 delivered for a JDM one and 300 for a new tank
Had no idea what they were worth...

Mint as always :like:
Cheers mate.

Carrying on from last weeks update with the surge tank, I have now finished off the fuel pump cradle for the lift pump, bought some fittings (not all) and got a surge tank.

Added some -6 bulk head fittings. Fuel in from lift pump, surge tank overflow, fuel rail return and fuel out from the Bosch 044 pump. Had to make some 3mm thick aluminium washers as the sheet metal was too thin for the bulk head nut to do up tight.

Here is the fuel pump cradle, complete with a sealed electrical bulk head from MSEL.

Here it is installed in the tank through the cut out I made in the floor. Makes it a lot easier to work on, means I dont have to drop the entire tank just to get to the fuel pump.

I had my mate Graeme at SMS fabrication tune me up a surge tank. He's got all the gear to cut and fold sheet metal, and hes a bit of a whiz on the TIG welder when it comes to aluminium. Here it is mocked up at the moment, still havent decided on a spot for the fuel pump and filter yet.

Made a couple fuel lines from the fuel tank to the bulk head fittings, probably going to replace the factory hard lines with some braided stuff and go right to the fuel rail. Need to buy a rivnut gun so I can start mounting some of these parts.

Ped Rac3r

May 29, 2010
New Zealand
Thanks guys.

Is this car going to be street registered?
Yeah, well it can be. Rego has been on hold for the last 3 years. Would need to be re-certified for the changes Ive made since it was last certified to be legit, but thats all very do-able here in NZ.