painting the engine bay

meae86

Feb 1, 2013
melbourne
I'm about to respray the engine bay and was wondering if its just normal body paint I should use or is there a special type of automotive paint? cheers

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
The engine bay is done with the same paint as the rest of the car. Don't do it with pressure packs,it won't last. Use proper gear and proper paint if you want a decent and enduring finish.

Justin...

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Most ae86s have a different paint code for under the bonnet to the rest of the car.. if you are looking for originality
Really? Are you sure it's not the same paint,just minus the clear coat? That's how it's looked to me on the four I've owned so far.
Seems and odd thing for them to do on so cheap a car. I know some nissans ran a different coloured bay to the outside panels,but have never seen it on a toyota.

Justin...

medan

Nov 10, 2006
western sydney
Those squirts cans are the bomb. For an engine bay which wont be touched or seen often Id be happy with that, but it depends what tickles your fancy...

Also, did they even clear coat any ae86s? I doubt they would have put any clear on the solid colours, were there any factory metallic options?

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
I think the dark blue was cleared as I've seen them blister and peel like newer cars before.

On my own car I painted the bay with spray cans,and over time it's turned to crap,and now really lets the rest of the car down. I cut back the original paint,put on two coats of acylic primer,sanded the top coat back,then put on two coats of acrylic colour. It chips and flakes really easily,straight back to the original red and holds dirt like mad,I really regret having done it myself. At the time I couldn't afford to have it done professionally,and I'm paying for that now everytime I look at it.
If the car ever comes off of the road for an engine swap it'll get a bay repaint .

Justin...

Youngy

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney and Newcastle
www.heavy.com
In my case the car is metallic Silver and the engine bay was just a grey colour from factory (my old metallic brown 86 was the same, but with a crap brown engine bay). I went with epoxy enamel for the engine bay as it is hard wearing more chemical resistant than most paints and it paints on very well from a can.

I would not use a can if I was using another type of paint.

Bluesprinter

Aug 25, 2008
Sydney
engine bay is a do it once do it right, because thats one place you dont ever want to touch after being done.

Make sure the prep is good and paint will stick and not flake off and scratch proof, the worse is going to install everything back in the pay and your nuts and bolts you drop on the paint leaves marks everywhere, brake fluid eats the fresh paint straight off to bare metal after a while, petrol the same thing..

depends how picky you are with this but a clean engine bay will go a LONG way

Steve20v

Apr 30, 2006
Maitland, NSW
That Epoxy Enamal is the bomb, used it once along time ago on my fuel tank and with a quick wipe its still shiny like the day i put it on.

Remember lots of light coat will see better results then 1 heavy coat.

I would think a decent effort on a engine bay 3 cans will suffice.

Youngy

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney and Newcastle
www.heavy.com
the downsides with Por15

* it likes to bond best to bare metal or rusty metal that goes through all their surface preps. Or you have to use their primers etc
* it is photo sensitive has to be 'tie-coated' for another paint to seal it from the sun.

So if your engine bay does not have any real rust then it is more work than it is worth IMHO