One random shot of your car!

no 4 spotters Justin?
Paul,

4 pot callipers wouldn't fit under the 15" SSR mesh wheels we have for the car AND clear the suspension.

Several options were tried and we couldn't get a setup worked out that we were happy with.
Discs that sat inboard enough to clear the wheel fouled the LCA,others that cleared the LCA had the calliper body fouling on the wheel (and we won't run spacers on a road car) and other callipers (i.e. Spoon) bolt up the wrong way around and require too complex a bracket to be a feasible option. Lastly,many disc options are simply not available any more (i.e. Z31).
Many of the bolt-on options for AE86 that are around these days can't be used on this car either,as it runs RA40 Celica front struts.

The PBR two pot Corvette/EL GT Falcon calliper on the car should be plenty anyway,as it's covering a 323x20mm rotor. Pads are easy to get as well.
The setup was done by Race Brakes Sydney at Wetherill park.

Regards,

Justin.

They look quite nice,and would probably fit in,but cost a bit more than the PBR's did and use motorsport specific pads. The PBR's use a standard falcon/corvette/commodore pad,which I can get myself at wholesale pricing with an hour's notice if need be.
I also already had two and a half sets of SSR meshies for this car before the brakes were fitted,and actually had the kit made up around them. You might say that's doing things a little backward,but it guarantees that the car can run low and negative offset wheels with no inboard clearance issues.

Regards,

Justin.

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
Paul,

4 pot callipers wouldn't fit under the 15" SSR mesh wheels we have for the car AND clear the suspension.

Several options were tried and we couldn't get a setup worked out that we were happy with.
Discs that sat inboard enough to clear the wheel fouled the LCA,others that cleared the LCA had the calliper body fouling on the wheel (and we won't run spacers on a road car) and other callipers (i.e. Spoon) bolt up the wrong way around and require too complex a bracket to be a feasible option. Lastly,many disc options are simply not available any more (i.e. Z31).
Many of the bolt-on options for AE86 that are around these days can't be used on this car either,as it runs RA40 Celica front struts.

The PBR two pot Corvette/EL GT Falcon calliper on the car should be plenty anyway,as it's covering a 323x20mm rotor. Pads are easy to get as well.
The setup was done by Race Brakes Sydney at Wetherill park.

Regards,

Justin.
Justin if you're using the PBR falcommovette setup trust me 323mm disc will be over kill. I have the hoppers kit with AU coon twins with 295mm discs and the car will stop on a 5c piece. I've recently changed the pads and discs and after 5 years of spirited driving, and track days and whatever else I'd barely used half of the pads. And the pads were nothing special either...
got some "race" QFM pads and they take forever to get hot because there is hardly any load on them

Justin if you're using the PBR falcommovette setup trust me 323mm disc will be over kill. I have the hoppers kit with AU coon twins with 295mm discs and the car will stop on a 5c piece. I've recently changed the pads and discs and after 5 years of spirited driving, and track days and whatever else I'd barely used half of the pads. And the pads were nothing special either...
got some "race" QFM pads and they take forever to get hot because there is hardly any load on them

Hi Adam.

I haven't driven the car much yet as it's still not registered,but the setup feels good so far. Pedal is a little longer than I like with the 15/16" S14 master cylinder,but the feel is quite good and progressive which is nice. It's only got the std PBR pads in it atm,but I have a set of Hawks to go in later on if they're needed.
Rear is a Kai Power bracket offset putting the std AE86 callipers over a slotted S13 disc. Pads are Acre Super fighter.

Depending on how it feels going forward,I may go up to a 280mm rear disc and use AE101 callipers to help put a bit more bias towards the rear. We'll see how it feels...

My previous AE86 only had stock JDM brakes and they were seriously lacking,and I personally don't think that you can ever have to much when it comes to braking power,so more is better IMHO.

Regards,

Justin.