old school gallant coupe

ae86n2

Apr 24, 2006
Sydney
Hey guys thought id share some of the other cars i have been building for people. at the moment i am doing a race preparation on an old gallant coupe.

my instructions were simple. proper race cage, modify suspension (coil overs, lower ride height etc....) seam weld chassis, and whatever else i thought it would need to make it into a solid little circuit car.

the shell for its age is in really good condition. no previous accidents and had already been blasted.

First up was the front end. i had a set of Koni adjustable inserts modified and made shorter, i cut the strut tubes to suit and added coil over sleaves. it is now some 4" lower than it use to be. The owner is wanting to use 13" wheels so i have it sitting right up in the guards now. I had to get the geometry better so i made some offset role centre adjusters which also widen the front track by 20mm a side. adjustable camper tops installed offset to give more caster and new rear leafs were ordered and installed

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
i like where this is going...

i know your not that great with pics, but i can bring the camera down and do some shit talking and look like i know what im doing with the camera if you want

ae86n2

Apr 24, 2006
Sydney
Easy there i have pics i'll just start chucking them up yous can work out what i have done.
Shorter koni compared to standard insert

Strut body shortened with coilover sleave added

Camber top installed offset for more castor

Steering box reinforcement

Car has a new stance

ae86n2

Apr 24, 2006
Sydney
Cause of the new stance flares needed to be added not happy with what was out there i set out to flare the guards the old fashioned way
Before

after

and the rear not quite finished but you get the idea

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
farken hell! would the guy like some car with that cage!?

is the car going to be stuck with a steering box or is the owner looking to adapt a rack and peanut from something like a gemini (front of crossmember) or cortina (behind crossmember) for better steering response, lock etc etc...

ae86n2

Apr 24, 2006
Sydney
Targa is fia rules so cage is fine for that. then engine is the good old 4g32 started life as a 1600 i built it a few years ago. i was able to bore it out to 1890. For some reason the block was a freak one and had really thick bores not really sure what happened at the Mitsubishi factory that day but worked out really well for me. the short stroke makes this thing a little revver. I had the crank lightened and knife edged as well as the flywheel. rods are shotpeined. arp rod bolts. hi comp pistons 12.5:1 static comp. bigger valves. and we found an old mitso works rally cam for it too. it breathes through 45mm webers it needs bigger chokes and exhaust though for more top end power. We took it for a run in tune a while back. had some electrical gremlins that day though. msd was playing up ignition was breaking down above 6500rpm. but still managed to get a decent 147hp at the treads. It should be spinning upto around 9000rpm when running properly so im very keen to fly up to queensland (that's where the car is from) to see this thing back on the dyno. i love tuning webers a bit of a wiz at them after years of playing with vw's. So I'll keep you all updated on that .