Not sure if posted in right section. E85 in standard JDM fuel tank

trevors13

Dec 1, 2010
Rouse Hill
Is it safe to run E85 in a standard JDM fuel tank, will it eat the tank?
is there an aftermarket tank that i can use apart from a fuel cell?

Thanks

Delazy

Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
it doesn't soo much eat the fuel tank, but it does loosen/make a mess of the muck/build up from over the years...

Leads to blocked pumps/filters/lines...

It also eats fuel pumps and injectors over time...have seen numerous Bosch 040/044's die due to e85

It doesn't make much sense in a motor like I've seen you describe/ask questions about...not really serious enough to justify the hassles in my opinion

Steve20v

Apr 30, 2006
Maitland, NSW
Its mostly the rubber and plastic components of the fuel system thats is effected.

You would have to change everything, injectors, pump, lines and any other rubber components for ethanol friendly equipment.

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
Its mostly the rubber and plastic components of the fuel system thats is effected.

You would have to change everything, injectors, pump, lines and any other rubber components for ethanol friendly equipment.
this.

to get the best out of E85 you will need a serious turbo engine or a VERY angry N/A engine. im talking built engines, good ECU and tuner, 20+psi boost or at least 13.5:1 comp ratio.
there are gains to be had with E85 but you have to pay to play, and unless you go big you may as well not bother.

Big T

Jun 27, 2006
Sydney
I currently run e85 and been running it for about a year. As long as all your rubber lines are new, you won't really have a problem. There is still 15% petrol which is normally enough to keep the lines lubricated. 100% ethanol is a different story. Viton seals are a must for the injectors as they are usually the first to leak. I'm running a walbro intank 255L/h pump in a Jdm fuel tank. I expect the tank will eventually be eaten away but will take several years. I'm already fabricating a larger capacity stainless replacement.