Nat's ADM Custard Hillclimber

Course_Out

May 3, 2009
Newcastle NSW
Hello guys and girls!

Thought I might finally put my ae86 up here. Purchased from Sydney, only the second ae86 I looked at - what a fluke! As purchased:

Specs as purchased:
ADM shell
4age swap - stock save for throttle body, Microtech computer and exhaust
Lowered springs (unknown brand, thinking Kings)
JDM front lip and Levin grill
FRP hatch w/ TRD wing (to be replaced with steel hatch with GTV wing)
Tom's Igeta 14x6.5 wheels, 185/60r14 tyres
JDM disk brake diff, 4.3 CWP, TRD 2 way LSD

Main issues to fix were a leaky clutch hard line and getting the steel hatch back on (mate took the FRP hatch for his rally car, I got some new swaybars in trade). Also replaced the tyres with Federal 595 in 185/55/r14. Pretty happy with their performance so far, but thinking later on I will get some 13x7's and run 205/60r13 r888 or similar for track work. As it sits now (apologies for the low quality photos):

Next up I did a couple of hill climbs at our local track at Ringwood. In my previous s13 Q's I managed a 37.49 second run, best to date in the ae86 is a 36.82 which I am pretty happy with considering the small amount of driving I have done with it. Really I need to find another second to be on the podium in my class - the car is capable of it, just a matter of stringing it all together. Here is a video from Sunday's hill climb, I appear at 3:50

http://youtu.be/AJbtwojordg

The Ringwood Hill Climb in the video is the 2nd round of our Tri Series championship, run between Newcastle MGCC (my club), Tamworth and Kempsey Sporting Car Clubs. I missed Kempsey, but will be hitting the next two rounds - Lap Dash at Tamworth's Oakburn Park next month and the Mattara Hill Climb at King Edward Park in Newcastle in October.

So next jobs, in order:
- Replace valve stem seals (you can see a bit of blue smoke puff in the video)
- Fit swaybars (solid front, adjustable rear)
- Compete in Tamworth Lap Dash at Oakburn Park
- Buy new seats (thinking Bride Digo Type R's) $$$$
- Buy new steering wheel (current Momo is flaking and the grip is a bit thick for my liking)

Loving being in an ae86, never owned a car that gets such universally positive feedback. Event the scrutineer at the hill climb told me it was tidy! Thanks for reading my ramblings, will hopefully post up more photos/news after the Tamworth event

Course_Out

May 3, 2009
Newcastle NSW
Thanks guys - it's mostly tidy, but being 30 years old does have the odd rough patch here and there!

No incar unfortunately - I'm too tight to buy a Go-Pro!

northy

Mar 26, 2012
Wollongong
I have digo type r's in my hachi. Great seats for a daily but they are heavy in comparison to a fixed back. Also the bottom mount rails are quiet heavy if hillclimbs are your game

Course_Out

May 3, 2009
Newcastle NSW
Northy, do you have any pics? And how do they sit height wise? Are they substantially heavier than the stock seats all up? I ran an old Brix in my previous s13 Silvia and it seemed lighter than the stock seat

The hill climbing is mainly for fun, so I doubt a couple extra kg of seats will make that much difference to my times. I like the idea of fixed back from a performance point of view, and would run them if it was purely a race/track car but it sees plenty of street use. My better half is keen to have a go driving it as well so and a recliner makes that a bit easier.

Course_Out

May 3, 2009
Newcastle NSW
Bride Digo Type R's and Luisi Griffon steering wheel have arrived - pictures to follow this weekend!

Initial thoughts on the Digo's - seats themselves are light, but the base frames seem heavy. Had a sit in them on the floor. Not as much holding as a full bucket but pretty damn good. I can't see my current tyres producing enough lateral G's to overpower the bolsters at this stage. Quality is of course sensational and the service I got from RHD Japan was excellent - 3 weeks from placing of order to receiving seats isn't bad at all in my opninion

Stock ADM seats will not be missed!

Course_Out

May 3, 2009
Newcastle NSW
Morning all! So Mattara has been run and won for another year. I didn't go as quick as I'd have liked but nothing got broken so I am very happy about that! Car ran perfect all day. Backed off the rear swaybar which helped corner exit speed but unfortunately this was offset by my corner entry speed!
Biggest time loss was the pinch - it is totally blind until you are right at the bottom of it and, although I held it flat longer each time, I just couldn't get past that psychological barrier. But enough of that - what people really want is pictures!

Day before the hillclimb - after racing both days of the BMX State Titles I came home and made sure the car was ready to go. Numbers and battery triangle? Because race car!

Calm before the storm - up top in the pits at 6:30am with my mates jza70
And a few from my runs:

Nice. Unfortunately no video which is a shame - had the little 4age wound all the way out in 2nd and 3rd so would be nice to know what it sounded like! haha
So where to from here? Well I have purchased the following items:
Mesh headrest Recaros
PS arms
Cusco RCA's
Dizzy Heatshield (TODA brand, no TODA markings - but now its fitted I can stop replacing the dizzy cap every three weeks after it melts onto the headers)
TRD headgasket
So the plan is to fit up the Recaros in the near future, and run the final hillclimb for the year in November. After that the engine will come out for a freshen up and we will fit up the RCA's and steering arms. The current head is shot, so have a second bigport head that will be reconditioned soon, so its ready to go when we pull the bottom end. Hoping there are no nasty surprises in the bottom end, but we shall see
I have also lined up a set of 13x6 wheels, so once my wallet recovers from the engine freshen up I will buy a set of "proper" tyres (possible 185/60r13 r888's)
Next year the plan is to compete in all rounds of the Tri Series Championship (Kempsey, Tamworth, Ringwood and Mattara if it runs again)

Course_Out

May 3, 2009
Newcastle NSW
Rightio, update time!
So last weekend saw the final hillclimb at our local course for the year, with efforts being put toward having our new layout up and running for next season (course will be doubled in length, with some higher speed sections compared to current layout)
Managed to get my time down to 36.37, which is still a way off the pace but the heat in the track meant that the Federal 595's I run were a little too greasy. Some better tyres for next season would be nice! Also finally got pinged for having a modified inlet manifold and pushed up into Type 3, so the unmolested manifold I have at home will need to be fitted up for next season. Most irritating thing was arguing with the scrutineer that the ae86 was available with a 4age. "I thought these were all carby?" Bloody goose he was! I don't expect every person to know every car, but if you're going to call me a liar at least do a little research!
Anyway, for a change one of the guys had a camera out, so I figured I'd do something worth shooting:

Pretty happy with that! New PB and some nice slide photos make for a pretty good day at the track! Hopefully next year will mean a few more HP with the fresh head and some more appropriate rubber.