Kouki and Zenki driveshafts

nightdevil

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney
Just wondering if anyone can tell me how much spline a zenki axel has opposed to a kouki

My driveshafts are coming out today, and i want to define whether im running kouki or zenki axels.

Thanks

Cannonball

May 31, 2006
Sydney
Ahh, i looked this up for you the other day craig, just keep forgetting to ring you, and the note I wrote it on is at home :oops:

From memory, i think the Zenki (early) is 23 spline, and the Kouki (late) is 24 spline????

I would wait for someone to confirm though :wink:

(edited to correct spline numbers.... :roll: )

AE86slut

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney
PETE said:
hmmm going on what ive been told bigger = stronger

That's usually the case! I'd be pretty bloody surprised if I broke on of my HIlux axles, but wouldn't expect either a zenki or kouki T-series to last very long.
Then again, a lot of doorslammer drag cars use 'gun-barrel' axles, which are hollow! :?

Oct 4, 2006
melburn
yeah i snapped my axel on the spline not shure which type of axel it was but the trd 2 way didnt sound to flash when the axel went bang and thats with an 4ac= no real horsepower at all!!!!!!

ae86n2

Apr 24, 2006
Sydney
axles

yes hollow axles are stronger than solid due to there being two radius's, thats why roll cages are made from tube and not solid round bar, the axle with the most splines will be the stronger of the two due to larger surface area, but that said the strength of the axle comes down to the grain structure of the material and if those pic's of the axle ends above are correct i would probably say that the earlier axle would be stronger looks like it is semi forged. Moser axles have similar looking ends. And i don't think that you'll be breaking an axle any time soon jeremy they're pretty solid

ToySprinter

Nov 25, 2006
Canberra
Anyone know if you can use a T-18 shaft in a JDM housing with discs?
I'm think they have different beraings and hubs though...

CHeers
Steve

bathurst-91

Feb 27, 2006
sydney.nsw.au
Holllllddddd on. This site says non-lsd axles must be shortened to be used for LSD application. Does this include T18 axles with an aftermarket LSD? in a T-18 rearend?

Because I remember the first time I installed my LSD and was putting in the 2nd axle there would be a 5mm or so divergence. I'd push it in and itd slide back out 5mm or so. It seemed asif I was forcing it in. I was so dumbfounded I actually switched the axles over and the same problem!

hmmm? Anyone else get this?

Steve20v

Apr 30, 2006
Maitland, NSW
Arch said:
I never experienced any forcing of the axles when i installed my aftermarket lsd in my t18 rear end.
I agree, i didnt notice anything weird with mine.

Not to say there isnt anything wrong with, but i dont feel anything weird.

I think andrew you are referring to celica (RA40 etc etc)t-series axles into jdm & T18 diff, different housing lenghts i believe.

Cannonball

May 31, 2006
Sydney
ToySprinter said:
Anyone know if you can use a T-18 shaft in a JDM housing with discs?
I'm think they have different beraings and hubs though...

CHeers
Steve
Completely different...dont bother.

One of these days I will take pics and measurements for this thread

Anthony

May 1, 2006
Brisbane, QLD
They both have the same spline number. A zenki axle will feel like it seats in a kouki mech - but wont last long under any drive... youve been warned. Measurements depend where they are measured obviously but the kouki parts are roughly a mm bigger everywhere.

T18 axles can be made to fit JDM housings (with zenki gear) with some reworking (spacers on the bearing) but it's generally not worth it. If you're smashing gutters that much, get a T18 housing.

ae86n2

Apr 24, 2006
Sydney
axles

some interesting info for you guy's i was told only the late model JDM diffs have the big bearing which conflicted with other information i researched, so after snapping an axle i was told that mine was a late model and was sold a brand new one only to find out that's wrong both early and late can have big bearings and with 1.3mm difference in outside diameter there is no way it will fit as well the later models have a courser spline cut into it. all i can hope is the person who sold me this axle will return and refund the money i just paid for it. As he to was told this information by a "guru" of 86 knowledge oh well back to the drawing board for the axle