Johl's daytona triple

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
hey guys, as alot of you are aware i sold up all my 86 gear and bought a bike.
i bought a brand new 2013 triumph daytona 675r
comes standard with carbon fibre everywhere, ohlins suspension and crazy crazy brembo brakes. seriously the brakes hurt my head when i give them a squeeze.

so here it is the day i picked it up

and how it sits tonight with less than 300km on it…. the mrs wasnt happy coming home to my new bike looking like this already

i was only installing a tail tidy, led indicators and putting a resistor in to correct the flash rate. but of course i dropped a bolt so had to strip it down to find it...

here are soem more of the parts i have in my garage and will slowly start fitting them

the parts include the typical frame, swing arm and fork sliders, engine stator and clutch protectors, radiator guard, tank grips, tail tidy, exhaust, fuel controller, o2 sensor and self tuner, short brake and clutch lever. and heaps more shit

i have just finished bedding in the brakes and now im focusing on scrubbing in the tyres as close to the edge as possible which is kind of hard to do the left side because i cant find long sweeping corners.

i have to say i am completely satisfied in my decision to part my 86 and buy this. its street legal, fast, nimble and full comp insurance is only $70 a month. new car/bike life is pretty cool.

xoxo

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
some more pretty things to look at
new tinted screen

gb racing engine, clutch and stator covers

you can kind of see the shark fin chain guard which is designed to stop me losing my toes in the chain and sprocket

short and adjustable levers

driven fuel cap

evotech tail tidy, led rear indicators, rear bobbins for my stand, tank pad and techspecs tank grips

sootie

Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle NSW
Nice bike mate, I had one of the old Daytona 600's for a while, was a mad bike as long as you didnt have to ride for more than a few hours straight (at least not at legal speeds)

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
thanks mate.
new exhaust on and it goes in for first service tomorrow. then strip everything down to get the manifold off to weld on a new 02 sensor bung, then fit new fuel controller and wiring harness, put everything back on for the last time, i will tune it on the weekend, then its just ride time

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
thanks man, hopefully something decent is planned for this years annual and i'l come for a ride and chase some hachis

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
so this happened

i pulled it apart to fit new 18mm o2 sensor, bmc air filter and my bazzazz units.
here is the new o2 fitted

it was pretty straight forward really. i didnt even use the manual as us guys usually dont. here is what it looks like around the injectors etc
it is pretty hard to see anything specific but if anyone has any questions i will do my best to answer them

the power wire used from the tail section

i also took this time to fit the cables for my battery tender. i wont be riding with the usb bazzazz cable in but i left it there until i tune it on the weekend

and all buttoned up

i took it for its first service yesterday and asked them to put the arrow full system tune on but it still throws a CEL. the dealership claim to have the right tune but i know they are wrong, but they wouldnt change it again. so i will try and take it to another dealership on friday to get them to throw the right tune on and clear the CEL. once that is done i can start fiddling with the self tuning feature on the bazzazz and i hope to get it on a dyno one day soon to see how close this software gets to a proper dyno tune.

for now the bike is finally done. no more pulling it apart. i swear i have pulled it apart 4 or 5 times in the 500km i have ridden it. all im going to do now is try and find someone who is pretty knowledgeable with suspension tuning and try and get that set up properly

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
yeh i wasnt sure if it was just because it was new and not modified by 3 different 17 year olds that made it so easy to work on. its strange being able to completely strip it and then refit everything and go for a ride in the same day. it seemed like every job with my old car would be left until the weekend

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
my bike is now finished. fitted the new air filter, fuel controller, o2 sensor and self tuner. makes it a million times smoother now the fuel map has been changed to match the new exhaust and air filter. here is a small video i made of reving the bike a little bit, but not too much because i was in my garage and it seemed too loud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQfGOCT5d_I

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
thanks man. you really should. you can pick up reasonably new r6/gsxr600 for not too much these days. do you have your licence?

i just been riding it through the hills alot lately and fine tuning the suspension. it has so much adjustment out of the box. i was lifting the rear wheel today under very hard braking and the forks are within 10mm of bottoming out, so its pretty much spot on.
also raised the rear of the bike about 5mm to increase the flickability of my bike and it feels awesome.

Mirko

Mar 25, 2013
Australia
great bike mate. I was lucky enough to get the first special edition of the 675 back in 09 l think it was from memory. I have since sold it but l always loved that bike.

I got the jardine pipe from the states was alot cheaper

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
i have to say the 09-12 shape is my favourite. the SE colour scheme was also pretty nice. alot better than the "dark" edition

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
wow shes nice. did you do much riding? any track work?

we both seem to be doing the exact opposite. i sold all my 86 stuff and moved onto the daytona and you've come from the daytona and into an 86. love your 86 build too man. its coming along really nice. any wild plans with the motor?

Mirko

Mar 25, 2013
Australia
Yeah we used to ride alot dude. Didnt do much track as l preferred the long rides. Ride all morning have something to eat and ride back.

Yeah 86 is coming along 3sgte going in so thats gonna be fun not far off turning key which l cant wait for

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
yeh it looks great, i have been following it on dc. most people go beams so it will be good to see some one put one in