James' 86 Track Hack

Zangetsu

Nov 22, 2012
Australia
Was wondering why your car looked so familiar. Did you get any lap time recorded at Wakefield today?
I spent too much time playing around with the Supra on Sunday, but I did bring my lap time down to 1:19 in the 86. Didn't feel like I was pushing it to it's limits so I'll be getting out there again in the next few weeks hopefully.

Were you in the AE86 a couple of bays down from us?

Obligatory driving shot:

Cappuccino

Jul 26, 2009
Sydney
1:19 is a good effort man! Definitely another 3 secs or more in it too especially with the new tires.

I managed a 1:16.8 in a Standard GTS

evil86

Apr 25, 2007
Liverpool
Your car looks good, I was driving the ae86 couple of bays from you on Sunday. You looked busy and I was flat out on the day for me to say hi, it was my bad but hope to see you out there in the future. :)

Zangetsu

Nov 22, 2012
Australia
1:19 is a good effort man! Definitely another 3 secs or more in it too especially with the new tires.

I managed a 1:16.8 in a Standard GTS
Yeah, definitely know there is more time in the car. Spent time watching my laps and plenty of room for improvement. The Supra is looking to be the more fun track option so going to continue to dedicate some time to that. Regardless have ordered some more parts for the 86 and will continue to track it alongside the other.

Your car looks good, I was driving the ae86 couple of bays from you on Sunday. You looked busy and I was flat out on the day for me to say hi, it was my bad but hope to see you out there in the future. :)
Your AE86 looked awesome man. If I see you again will definitely introduce myself too. :D

Zangetsu

Nov 22, 2012
Australia
Just some small things done, fitted Cusco front and rear sway bars. 17mm hollow > 20mm solid on the front. 13mm hollow > 16mm solid on the rear. Added canards for rice factor and ordered a Pivot DXW gauge.

Have booked in two more track days in Feb and March. Getting there slowly but surely. :)

Zangetsu

Nov 22, 2012
Australia
Well when I had my first track day the car was pretty solid around the track with very little body roll. After I fitted the 8's the car had been pretty shocking to drive, especially with the grippy Neova's. At the last track day it felt like the tyre/wheel combo was actually detrimental to my handling which is what drove me to get the sway bars sorted asap. Now that they're on it feels much more like stock again. I'm not sure what effect it would have on stock width wheels, might be too solid?

On that note, wtf at all these people put 9+ width rims on their 86's. It must completely destroy the handling dynamic.

Bonus pic for HR

Thinking of getting a Voltex wing for the car next since the Tomei single exit zaust isn't released til May this year.

Iain

Nov 5, 2006
Campbelltown
Remember seeing this at MCM meet (guy in S15 with terrible Rims haha) ~~ looked bloody nice.. glad to see all the track Klicks this is working up and it isnt just a Hardparker that alot of these are becoming

On that note, wtf at all these people put 9+ width rims on their 86's. It must completely destroy the handling dynamic.
but if you dont do that you wont get 28 Sub-par Amateur photographers with there Professional Grade Cameras trying to get the Money shot so they can put your car on a GayDMST website and earn internet points

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
You really think that you can give a car too much grip? If the wider wheels (AND tyres) fit under the guards,go for it! If the new tyre's grip exceeds the limits of the suspension,it's the suspension that needs to be upgraded,you don't lower your grip level to match the ability of the suspension,that's how you go SLOWER. More grip = higher corner speeds = more fun. Less grip = less fun.

Justin...

Delazy

Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
Most time attack cars these days are running 10" wide minimum with 265's...I don't think I'd run less than a 9" wide rim on an 86 personally :)

Zangetsu

Nov 22, 2012
Australia
Remember seeing this at MCM meet (guy in S15 with terrible Rims haha) ~~ looked bloody nice.. glad to see all the track Klicks this is working up and it isnt just a Hardparker that alot of these are becoming

but if you dont do that you wont get 28 Sub-par Amateur photographers with there Professional Grade Cameras trying to get the Money shot so they can put your car on a GayDMST website and earn internet points
Thanks.

And lol, car scene in a nut shell.

I would leave it stock. The thing is SO MUCH FUN standard, why change it?
Just going to quote Garth's statement here. This is the point of this car, while I wanted more grip for the track I didn't want to go so far that I'd lose the "fun" aspect of the car that Toyota instilled into it from factory. I think anything wider than 8", even with suspension and handling work, will take the car too far from what it was created to be.

sootie

Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle NSW
Thanks.

And lol, car scene in a nut shell.

Just going to quote Garth's statement here. This is the point of this car, while I wanted more grip for the track I didn't want to go so far that I'd lose the "fun" aspect of the car that Toyota instilled into it from factory. I think anything wider than 8", even with suspension and handling work, will take the car too far from what it was created to be.
this time 11ty (to quote adam)

leave it alone and destroy as many sets of skinny cheap tires as you can

HR Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Okay maybe I lied, but I would change the stock wheels for others with the same size and width, and swap the tyres over... those stock wheels are just putrid haha

Adrian

Apr 16, 2007
Chigasaki Japan
You really think that you can give a car too much grip? If the wider wheels (AND tyres) fit under the guards,go for it! If the new tyre's grip exceeds the limits of the suspension,it's the suspension that needs to be upgraded,you don't lower your grip level to match the ability of the suspension,that's how you go SLOWER. More grip = higher corner speeds = more fun. Less grip = less fun.

Justin...
Expanding on what Justin has said. if you put grippier tyres on you then need to look at your spring rates and damping characteristics. As a general rule of thumb stickier tyres require stiffer springs and more aggressive damping to control the extra load that the tyres are applying to the suspension. All that load has to go somewhere and the sprung weight, ie everything above the spring will absorb that load causing the body to "roll" rather than dissipating through traction loss. Adding heavier sways will help control that as you've found but from here you need to look at changing your damping if possible and then increasing your spring rates if you want further improvements.