James' 86 Track Hack

Zangetsu

Nov 22, 2012
Australia
Well, wasn't sure if I'd post up my build thread here. But hey, why not, use up all the internets.

I've had my ZN6 since June. Just clocked over 10,000km's and have been around Wakie once so far. But heading out again end of December (Christmas present for me and the Mrs).

The car's not so clean anymore, and not so stock. Has had a hard encounter with a low concrete wall that warped the factory bumper and destroyed the front support. There was sadness and a period of a month where 86 was no drivey. But back together now and running well. :)

Here's a list of non-factory additions for now:

• RPF-1's 17x8 +45 with AD08 tyres
  • HKS Intake Kit
  • Laile Catch Can Setup
  • Cusco bracing in the important places
  • Chargespeed vortex generator
  • Aftermarket cosmetic parts
  • Cusco transmission stiffener
  • Beatrush front bar

Originally I was a R33 Skyline owner, had that for 6 years. Was built mainly for street and looks. So building this as a track car is a good change. My PB at Wakefield is currently 1:22 reported by Natsoft. That was my first time on any track, ever. The car was completely stock at this point, so hoping for all of the above to help me a bit. Especially the tyres, the stockies were a joke!

And what's a good thread without pics.

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
best advice i can give you is get more seat time on the track or a private test road officer.
it will help immensely in getting your lines right, braking markers, and a general feel for the car. hopefully i see you are the track soon mate and can put old vs new together.

Cappuccino

Jul 26, 2009
Sydney
Welcome James!

Car I looking good and 1:22 is a pretty good time for your first time. Like Adam said just get more track time and you should improve.

One tip I have been told is that the 2nd corner is one of the most important corners at Wakefield as that sets your pace for half the track. Even if you need to break a little early as long as you maintain speed for the exit of turn 2 it will set you up for that hill and the rest of the track.

Zangetsu

Nov 22, 2012
Australia
Thanks for the feedback guys. Don't you worry I'm aiming to do a track day every month from now on funds permitting. :)

Zangetsu

Nov 22, 2012
Australia
The fins on the rear window....Same thing that came out on the Evo 9.

James I will be going to Wakefield on Wednesday the 12 of Decemeber. Let us know if your free.
Sorry man, no can do! The Supra needs a lot of work done. My Track Day is only a week or so after that. :)

evil86

Apr 25, 2007
Liverpool
Sounds like you have alot of fun with your car. Are you riding on stock suspension? How do they feel and any plans for upgrade?

Zangetsu

Nov 22, 2012
Australia
Sounds like you have alot of fun with your car. Are you riding on stock suspension? How do they feel and any plans for upgrade?
Yeah still riding on stockies. I was going to get coilovers last week (Cusco Zero 3 with the ECON Pro2 kit), but I've now decided to shelve the 86 project and get a home loan done in the next 3 months.

Stock suspension is great for daily duties, but with spirited/track driving I find them to be a bit overly spongey and give too much roll.

You coing to the annual this weekend man? Love those tail lights!
On the fence at the moment.

Bernard08

Dec 20, 2012
Canada
Wow the drive is looking awesome...... the back is pretty good. But you have not posted the interior photos. Can you please tell me how much you paid for this awesome car? Do you buy this on cash or on installments? Thanks for sharing.