Interior painting

Steve20v

Apr 30, 2006
Maitland, NSW
Not sure if its been asked before (yes i had a look) btu say if JDM black interior is just too hard to come by in my price range then how does 1 go about painting interior trim.

I hear/read about re-dying/painting the plastic.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Any help appreciated.

Steve

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
yeah i remember this topic too steve.

someone mentioned that you can get specific plastic paint, so when its in sunlight (ie your dash) it doesnt shrink and crack or some thing.

i know they had specific roll bar paint when we panted lisa's roll cage so they would have to have some plastic paint

Steve20v

Apr 30, 2006
Maitland, NSW
i believe painting plastic is all about using the correct primer and using quality lacquers other wise the die/paint wears/rubs off.

Just thought someone had some info they could share.

Steve

shayno

Nov 27, 2006
central coast
hey mate,
When i did mine i just cleaned it with a scotch brite pad and wax+grease remover then painted it with k&h bumper and trim paint in satin black....12 months on and no splits or cracks,though it has come of in a few places....have to knock it pretty hard though.

Youngy

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney and Newcastle
www.heavy.com
I did mine. The important thing is different paints and primers for ABS plastics vs the poly types.

Toyota fortunately puts A.B.S in the casting so you can tell when you look on the inside of the part.

age_86

Dec 6, 2006
Sydney
I used a few cans of black vinyl dye to do mine. Came out pretty good as well. I think they were from VHT.

Steve20v

Apr 30, 2006
Maitland, NSW
Many thanks gang

Seems like VHT interior/vinyl paint might be the way to go.

Any need to apply a matt finish lacqure maybe??

Youngy

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney and Newcastle
www.heavy.com
get the satin finish one from VHT - comes up quite nice. Sort of semi gloss\semi matt (depending or your logic).

I do suggest getting a flexible primer (not sure if that is what they are called now, but something like that) for all the PP parts. Otherwise the dye won't bond with it properly and it will look like shit very quickly.

Steve20v

Apr 30, 2006
Maitland, NSW
Local store only had 1 can of VHT paint and it was Vinyl/plastic paint satin black AV994 or AV944 cant remember. No need for primer as it eats into plastic apparently.

Clean 3 times. Degreaser/wax and grease remover/metho, then painted, cool weather not helping but i let it sit for 3 days and it looks bloody brilliant.

Very hard and flexible.

Seems to scratch/mark easy with finger nail but rubbing it seems to do nothing. So far so good.

Bummer i didnt do pics, but i will.

I got the local part guys asking the VHT rep about matt/satin lacquers too assist in how long it last.

I know it wont be like original plastic but have to try something.

Youngy

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney and Newcastle
www.heavy.com
I had a terrible time with the first interior I painted.

Anything that was marked ABS in the molding came up nice.
Anything that was marked PP in the molding came up nice as well, and then a few weeks later started to peel and turn to shit.

Once I started over on the PP parts with the right primer and the same final coat as I used on the ABS the stuff lasted, and still has!

Steve20v

Apr 30, 2006
Maitland, NSW
So is it fair to say PP plastic is anything without the dimple effect.

Like the console cover, and the section of the stereo and the under the gear stick boot??