I want it daily!

Jimmee1990

Apr 15, 2012
Mount Dandenong
Hey guys, been posting a little on here for a while and finally decided to put up a build thread. After I sold my old rusty trueno, I knew I wanted a mint car to start with and not be constantly fixing rust and paint and fixing "mods" done by people who should never work on a car again like my last two 86's. I waited and waited for months and months until Pro-K found me this one and I jumped on it straight away.

When I got it, it was 100% original and rust free besides two 5c piece spots around the boot seal so can't complain about that! Specs so far;

Body:
1986 Panda Levin Coupe
Early front lip on the late bumper
Stainless wind shields
Power steering and mirrors
Whiteline tail lights AND rear number plate surround
Slightly rolled guards
Factory rear windscreen tint with Levin written in it
Yellow fogs

Engine:
Bigport 4age
Custom grind 270 degree, 8.3mm lift cams
Toda adjustable gears and timing belt
Modified airbox and snorkel

Drivetrain:
Modified clutch pressure plate with more clamping pressure
TTT short shifter
Standard JDM brakes with old stock bendix metal king pads (insanely good, hotter they get the more they bite)
Custom machined open centre disc brake diff centre (basically spaced the spider gears into each other to preload them a bit, makes it act halfway between an open and lsd diff)

Suspension:
Shockworks coilovers with the new stub axles
AJPS traction brackets
All new balljoints, tie rod ends and boots and bushes

Interior:
Complete original late model black interior
Sparco evo driver's fixed back
Dildo knob
Personal grinta wheel
Driftworks quick release and long steering boss

I've got plenty of plans but progress has been slow because i'm moving into a new factory at work and work 6 days a week.

Future plans and ideas:
Spot welding and spacing the castor rod brackets down for some anti-dive, may make some from scratch also
Making shorter steering arms out of plate, but keeping the ackerman angle for quicker steering with the pwr rack
Half rose jointed half bushed lower trailing arms
Making a harness bar that mounts in the boot so I don't need to remove the rear seats to clip on the harness, just fold them down
Making some braces for various places around the car
Origin style rear boot wing and possibly a roof wing
Better rear wheels
Make a better seat rail, as the bride one I have is rubbish
Making some rose jointed castor rods
Getting a better clutch and lighter flywheel

Also getting a smallport in a couple of months already wired and tuned with a motec, so i'll be putting my flowbench developed bigport head onto the bottom end with the cams and gears. Also going to make a custom inlet manifold, but undecided at the moment if i'm going to use itbs as part of the runners or a bigger single throttle body. Either way the basic design I have in my head will be very different to the norm.

Some photos of my car:

All the things i'm going to be making for this, i'm considering selling down the line and starting a parts/fabrication business. Won't be for some time, but i'll try and put photos up here so you can see what it's all like.

Also, I work at a place called auto surplus in Melbourne so if anyone needs anything Toyota related give us a call and ask for James. Not much in the way of performance stuff but gaskets, seals and engine parts and stuff like that we're on average half the price of repco/bursons. I'll take this part off if mods don't like it, just trying to help out everyone on a budget. VVV

Email: james@autosurplus.com.au

Jacob

Jun 28, 2012
Sydney
Hey guys, been posting a little on here for a while and finally decided to put up a build thread. After I sold my old rusty trueno, I knew I wanted a mint car to start with and not be constantly fixing rust and paint and fixing "mods" done by people who should never work on a car again like my last two 86's.
Can't agree with this more.

Welcome to HR :)

Jimmee1990

Apr 15, 2012
Mount Dandenong
Been playing around heaps with the cam gears, as stupid me lost the cam spec sheet so had no info to go on dialling them in. Finally found a setting that makes it idle nicer and gives me more power everywhere according to the bum dyno, so pretty happy with that. Also put in a cusco brake master stopper a while ago but haven't really had a decent drive to see if it did anything until recently. Makes the brake pedal feel so much nicer! Also got some Toyo T1R's in 205/50/15 on the front now.

Also, edited the first post with an email address :)

Jimmee1990

Apr 15, 2012
Mount Dandenong
Long time no update, I've done a heap of things to this and a shitload of driving since I got it too (50,000km last year lol).

The gearbox was getting a fair bit of bearing noise, especially so the input shaft bearing so I bought a low k T50 to replace it with and as you all know once the box is out it's the perfect excuse for a light steel flywheel and a better clutch. Ended up getting a 4.4kg flywheel and a clutch industries sprung centre copper puck type clutch as it weighs about half what the standard clutch weighs. Heaps more responsive and pulls through the gears a bit quicker too.

Built a standard small port bottom end with all the bigport top end to replace the standard engine when a big end let go, which I'm still yet to fit as I've been cleaning everything up and repainting everything to make it look a little neater. Also been collecting parts over time for the built engine, specs so far are CP 12:1 pistons, TRD FA rods with the small end re-sized to take 20mm pins (FA 4A use 19mm pins), Toda head gasket, flowbench developed bigport head (has over 35 hours work in it so far, more to come). Looking into either using a highly modified factory crank, or possibly the Spool standard stroke crank but we'll see how that goes money wise.

Everyone likes photos, so here's some from what I've done so far...

Also got some new wheels, going down to 13's now for track wheels. 13x8 -7

Jimmee1990

Apr 15, 2012
Mount Dandenong
I haven't updated this thread in such a long time, probably because I've been slack with finishing the damn thing.

Been cleaning and painting everything I pulled out with the engine for the rebuild, as well as replacing basically everything underneath the car so it's all refreshed when it gets back on the road. Should handle a bit better as well as I put some 20mm extended LCA's in and cut some extra thread into the caster arms as.

Also found an old busted TRD box in my uncles stash, and pinched the dual synchro setup out of it and modified the T50 I had in my car to suit, be interesting to see if shifting feels any nicer.

Been chasing a few electrical issues now, but once that's sorted it'll be finally back on the road and ready for club rego.

Specs on the interim engine are;
Rebuilt and balanced smallport 10.2:1 comp bottom end with oil galleries and casting dags cleaned up
Mild ported bigport head, performance springs, 282 degree cams from Clive and removed and modified TVIS
Just running the standard inlet with a huge pod, and some nice Japanese stainless 4-1 pipes.

Heaps more I've probably missed, here's a few photos from along the way and where I'm at now.

Jimmee1990

Apr 15, 2012
Mount Dandenong
Cheers Garth, I'm pretty stoked with it too.

Had a few little electrical issues taken care of, now I just need to sort some temp rego then the run in can begin. Then just RWC, club inspection and she's back on the road finally.

Still need to finish the harness bar and new seat rail to suit the Velo before April 19th for a Winton day, but I'll do those later and just use the standard seat for now.

Jimmee1990

Apr 15, 2012
Mount Dandenong
Got it registered on the Friday before the Winton day at the last minute, and seriously enjoyed the drive up through Yarra Glen, Yea and Bonnie Doon even though it was pouring rain on all the twisty bits of road.

Didn't get to do any kind of fast driving really until I was on track, and I was seriously slow to begin with having not driven it (or any other car fast for that matter) for nearly a year. Got a lot better throughout the day, and was getting more and more comfortable and had a ball in the last two sessions chasing a couple of Renault Clio's. Still needed to really give it a proper go, but really didn't want to hurt the car as I drove there and back (600km round trip).

My daily is having some problems at the moment, so I've been getting up early and taking the long way through the hills to work in this and loving it. Even driving in traffic with 282 cams and a button clutch doesn't seem that bad because it's just so much fun when it gets going. The more I drive it the more the second hand A050's I picked up seem to scrub in and just keep getting better and better as well.

Short story long; Car is going and looking awesome, now I just need bigger balls on the track to go with it.