Front AE86 coilover suspension question

Anastasios

Oct 7, 2006
Sydney
Hey guys,

Would like to hear some thoughts on my front AE86 coilover strut setup before I take it from the ke70 and put into the ae71.

At the moment the strut fits a 332mm KYB ST185 Excel G shock part number 365077, with no spacer at the bottom.

I would like to run TRD blue 48511-AE031 with a 20mm bottom spacer.

Does anyone know or can measure a TRD blue shock to tell me the cartridge length?

Is it bad to be running such a short shock with no spacer in the bottom?

Anastasios

Oct 7, 2006
Sydney
Well I found out the TRD blue shock is the same length as my Excel G, so is it bad to be running a shock without the 20mm spacer at the bottom?

Anastasios

Oct 7, 2006
Sydney
So apparently a few people do run ae86 strut cut 60mm like my current setup.

Now when looking to install my cusco camber plates, I have a feeling my upper hat is not right.

I have a Ground Control weld on sleeve with collar, AJPS 8kg spring and shock as mentioned above.

Top of shock

Upper hat, Is it meant to slide up and down the shaft?

which looks different to the current Ground control upper hat

spacer provided with camber top

however when i put the camber top on there is about 4mm of play where the camber top can move up and down

Now if i use this spacer which i was using with oem strut tops I am able to tighten the top and not have play.

Is there any better way to do this?

evil86

Apr 25, 2007
Liverpool
I think you are missing another spacer for the top hat. It shouldn't be able to slide up and down the shaft, it should it a stop. That should also eliminate the 4mm play you have.

Anastasios

Oct 7, 2006
Sydney
Spoke with MCA suspension and they say its no problem that upper hat can slide down shock, that will only happen at full droop as well depending on whether my spring is captive or not

PETE

Jun 1, 2006
Newcastle
royaldrift.cjb.net
I think you are missing another spacer for the top hat. It shouldn't be able to slide up and down the shaft, it should it a stop. That should also eliminate the 4mm play you have.
Apparently not evil. i said this aswell. I cant see this working properly due to it not being captive, Let the banging and clunking begin.

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
I have to say this surprises me. I would without a doubt be aiming for captive springs at full droop.

Besides it being a roadworthy requirement,it's good practice.

Get another spacer machined up to fill the gap. Slop anywhere in suspension is NOT a good thing.

Justin...

AriAri699

Dec 28, 2013
Australia
Besides it being a roadworthy requirement,it's good practice.

Get another spacer machined up to fill the gap. Slop anywhere in suspension is NOT a good thing.

Justin...
I am totally agree with you. Apparently not a bad. You are 100% good here that get another spacer machined up to fill the gap. Slop anywhere in suspension is NOT a good thing.