Fitness , diet, bodybuilding thread

Julz01

Oct 4, 2006
Melbourne
In order to stimulate some conversation on the forum I though it would be a good Idea to start up a thread about these topics. Anyone currently trying to loose weight, beef up, gain weight should speak up.

I'm currently a fat ass :lol: try to loose some kilos, since the start of the year Ive been going to the gym on a weights program and now have started out jogging again as I stuffed my knee up 2 months. Im finding that my body is changing, but I think the major problem is my diet, just trying to find one that suits me, its very hard

Stain

Nov 22, 2006
Cairns
I joined up with the gym early in the year too. I went from 86kg down to 78kg but haven't managed to drop anymore over the last few months, however the weight is redistributing and I'm getting a lot more muscle.

I think the sudden weight loss for me was due to the change in diet, previously I would be eating McDs/KFC/Pies/etc every day and pretty much lived soft drinks... I gave all that up and turned to fruits, salads and yoghurts. I have found tho since going to the gym and changing my diet that my metabolic rate has increased quite significantly so I have to eat crap loads now... about 2x/3x more than before... it really hurts the wallet!

bathurst-91

Feb 27, 2006
sydney.nsw.au
I've never been a gym goer because It's never been about 'looking good' to me. I've always been fit and was taught from 10yrs old pretty full-on footy training regimes that got me into rep footy early on.

Just to keep a basic level of fitness I started doing the basic pre-training stuff I always did in the past again. So I dont even consider it training but;

4 times a week before work (situps/pushups/starjumps) Whats important is you dont let up on that. Its good because out of a 5day working week you have 1day at random to slack off. Because there are those days where you wake up in the morning with a hangover :p

As for how many. Work your way up. How many pushups can you do before you physically cant do anymore. Thats your limit then do that for 2weeks and try 10 more... etc etc. Do the same with situps.

It might be 40 pushups and 100 situps. Stick to that for 2weeks then try 55 pushups and 140 situps. And so on.

mc68

Feb 3, 2007
PERF
im struggling to gain weight atm

i hover around 59-62kg (keep in mind im 5'11...so yeah, lanky

but i can eat crap food and be a slob and maybe hit 65? then the next week ill be back to 62..

tried doing abit of cardio (jogging, cycling) just made me loose more :p

stupid fast motabolism! :(

Steve20v

Apr 30, 2006
Maitland, NSW
Loosing weight is quit difficult to complete but easy to do. It takes time.

Simple eat about 10-15% less calories then your body needs and moderate jogging or fast walking, up hills and down hills preferablly.

Dont forget the human body is 70% water. The first thing your body does when a change in lifestyle comes along is it drops excess water, and buckets loads of it.

Not unusual to see 5-9kg (depending on total body mass) loss in the first week and 1-1.5kg loss every other week.

That Biggest Looser 5-9kgs a week is almost impossible without full on dailey gym and cardio work + very controlled and strictly monitered diet.

Dont expect the same to happen to you. At home.

If you want to gain Muscle mass with out the fatty weight, then protein(eggs, chicken, lean red meat, brocilli) and moderate free weights are for you.

Oh and water, drink it by the bucket load, it will assit your body in cleaning out all the nasties you have consumed in the first place.

3sglevin

May 17, 2006
Sydney
I am a pretty tall guy 6 foot 5, and struggle to put on weight, after the race car was smashed and i wasnt out in the garage every night working my arse off I started to put weight on my average weight was about 82-85kgs then I went up to 94kgs which I was pretty happy with, but my fitness level was crap, I started cycling after Christmas about 14klms three to four times a week, fitness level went up and my weight stayed about the same. Then I started to swim aswel, started out poor and built it up to a klm then just worked on getting to a point where I could put alot of laps together, this was making me feel great but I have lost a fair amount of weight I am down to 88kgs again, so I am trying to put it back on now haha! I think different things work for different body types, you have to find what works for you.

Julz01

Oct 4, 2006
Melbourne
Think im going to give swimming a shot, Ive started to jog and finding im feeling alot better, I use to cycle alot when I was younger and still did so doesnt really do much for me anymore, use to do 20km + on rides , thats with a MTB not road bike.

Julz01

Oct 4, 2006
Melbourne
Havnt had much time to do much lately, got uni exams this week, but will be good on the holidays will have a chance to exercise more. Jogging at night is such a bitch to cold, damn Melbourne weather

Julz01

Oct 4, 2006
Melbourne
its still fuking cold so havnt been jogging much, got my last exam tomorrow so then Ill free up more time during the day to work out more. Ive gotten my bench press back up to normal , now I just have to work on squats again

Julz01

Oct 4, 2006
Melbourne
Im starting a new diet tomorrow, since unis back on, this way ill save money at least by bring my lunch to uni rather then buying it at the cafe. Training will be back to normal also

roadsailing

Apr 29, 2006
Melbourne
i've been riding into work for the last 3 weeks, 15 ks each way, you get used to the cold, and there is no motivation like not having a car to drive.

just bought a big tub of Horley's ice whey protein shit, planning on getting back on to the weights too, have been meaning to join a local gym for a while.

of course it will all go downhill when i get my car back!

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
hey guys, just a few suggestions - take em or not :lol:

the whey protein, or most protien powders in general are a really expensive way to buy skim milk powder... have a look at the contents tabel some time - work on about a cup of skim milk powder and a cup of milo mixed with water. It has almost the same chemical and nutritional content as most of the protien powders out there. If you are looking to lean up and cut the body fat, then high protein supplementation is very usefull, though very hard to maintian.

If you are looking to produce substantial gains in muscle mass, lean or otherwise, it has to be done cyclically (???) ie gain then fat reduction. It CAN be done at the same time, but it is either VERY targetted or chemically induced. The body requires substantial levels of good fats for a lot of things, the main one that concerns you guys i think is testosterone... it requires high levels of fat for production. with low fat levels ie diet or body, the body limits the production of test. wich dramatically reduces its ability to gain muscle.

when competing you obvioulsy have to be pretty fit - i would spend anywhere up to 500 km on the pushy a week so its hard to commit to gaining strength and weight when soending soo much time excersising. So during the wieght gain phase, we only ride for about 5 hours a week, but the gym is done 4 times a week with the focus on stregnth only. So never lift more than 3 times in a set and never more than 6 excersies/ sets a sesion, or a total of 36 lifts. We mainly concentrate on legs and back and i know yu guys are after the whole deal, so 2 days upper 2 days lower with back and core being dealt with on the legs days. These are designed to promote the biggest gains in strength, not size, and the anmount of recovery is as important as the amount you lift. We also eat ourselves stupid at this time becausr the human body is really good at taking precautions. If it thinks you are in risk of starving, it will not repair damaged tissue beyond what is necessary to survive - this is the main push behind lean muscle mass. So you make sure all cravings are met, only limiting outright sugar and saturated fats.

This obviously results in a fairly enlarged petrol tank :lol: and thats the next step in the cycle.... maintaining strength while reducing fat.for us that is fairly specific heading toward a small window of performance, about 3 weeks long at full belt. But basically apply the same intensity oin the gym, but only on 2 sesions with more emphasis on the enduro stuff to lose wieght. with ridin the bike, the quickest way to loose weight is to do some efforts in the ride - they hurt but they burn ffat like nothing else :lol:

i guess this has drivelled on a fair bit - my bad if anyone feels i hijacked the thread, or if i have just confused people then let me know, ill try and improve it a bit :wink:

Beau

Jul 24, 2006
4th Gear City.
Im pretty much an artillery feild!! OHHH YER!!

No really i use to weigh 55kg this time last year (some of you might remember i went in to have surgery to rid myself of a disease) i know weigh over 70kg. I've always been active being a bmx racer most of my life so i lived in the gym and the track most of my younger life! Now i rock climb! its all about FREESTYLE ROCK CLIMBING!! i also have not given up bmx but mainly ride parks, and dirt. My lass says im buff like Wolverine!

My advise is do rock climbing shit tones you up with 6 packs and shit!! oh its all about the FREESTYLE ROCK CLIMBING 1982

mc68

Feb 3, 2007
PERF
ill ask the boffins, whats a good way to gain body mass, then tone it up, when u work 60 hour weeks, and really dont have the money /time for the gym

im stuck on 63kg no matter what i eat, i want to be 70ish soon (doesnt sound like much but for me it is, have the worlds fastest motabolism, so dont know what to do.