extractor material stainless or mild?

Tim.duncan

Nov 11, 2008
Snowy mountains
hey guys

so the two options for making your own extractors are mild or stainless what do you go with?

stainless is very nice to weld and looks great till it gets hot and discolors and is a fair bit more expensive

im thinking about going mild and getting it ceramic coated (probably the same cost as using stainless) im not a fan of heat wrap

what ya reakon?

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
timmy, id suggest working on the theory you will make a few mistakes the first couple times. or at the very least have a few things you would do "differently".

in that case, id aim for mild for the first one or two at least. Then when your confidance is up, and you have ironed the bugs out so to speak, lash out on the stainless....

unless like me you have a near bottomless pit of stainless tube to rifle through lol

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
I would suggest mild steel from a cost and ease of fabrication point of view. Stainless is harder to weld,drill and repair than mild,and costs easily twice as much for bends.

Fab what you want up out of mild,get it as smooth as possible,and then have it ceramic coated. Will look pretty forever and will also retain heat far better. Win all 'round!

Justin...

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
I would suggest mild steel from a cost and ease of fabrication point of view. Stainless is harder to weld,drill and repair than mild,and costs easily twice as much for bends.

Fab what you want up out of mild,get it as smooth as possible,and then have it ceramic coated. Will look pretty forever and will also retain heat far better. Win all 'round!

Justin...
X11ty, wait till you have a look at mine up close. Mild steel, tig welded and ceramic coated. Not as blingy as they used to be but still the tits.

medan

Nov 10, 2006
western sydney
yeah I prefer mild steel for extractors.

easier to repair or modify and cheaper to buy bits for. Plus you can get cheaps decent merge collectors now which saves half the work...