Dropping cams into 4age 16V

trevors13

Dec 1, 2010
Rouse Hill
As the title states I'm wanting to put in cams. There 272 with 8.1 lift HKS cams, will also be putting in new springs.
Question is do I need shims or is it safe to straight bolt in?

kungfu panda

Dec 22, 2010
townsville
Make shure you arent using a microtec because the map sensor doesnt have a fine enough vacume resolution to even run the car reason being bigger cams lose the ability to create much vacume if any at all with the bigger ones fitted, just a thought for ya cause im going through this bullshit now with a set of 280s and microtec said they get that problem all the time??!?!?!! Fucked for shure and def an exspensive lesson

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
those cams will work with standard valve train, but upgrading the springs is a very good idea. wont need to shim it in anyway, but might need to do some adjusting and moving around of the factory shims to get the clearences right.

and yep, these will drop in fairly easily provided you have a programable ECU to go with it and would be also very beneficial to get some adjustable cam gears.

trevors13

Dec 1, 2010
Rouse Hill
Thanks guys, I'm running an adaptronic and will be using adjustable cam gears. Any one know a shop in Sydney who are good with head work on a 4age?

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Do you want to tune the engine to suit at the same time? If not,I'd recommend Pro Concept at Seven hills. Phone Josh on 9807 4488.

If you want to dyno tune it at the same time,try Yavuz at Unigroup in Girraween.

Justin...

Tim.duncan

Nov 11, 2008
Snowy mountains
If the head is off the car and you do a valve grid you will need to re shim the cams

The place that did mine put in the largest shims then ground the top of the valves to get the clearances

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
The place that did mine put in the largest shims then ground the top of the valves to get the clearances
Interesting approach to the job. When I was reusing valves in a rebuild job I'd clean up the top of the stems and the seat face as minimally as possible,and get my clearances by changing shims. Do the guys you used cut the seats to a set (uniform) depth,or just go until they clean up?

Justin...

trevors13

Dec 1, 2010
Rouse Hill
Its a slow build as the 86 is being painted at the same time as the new motors being built so it won't be getting tuned right away.

medan

Nov 10, 2006
western sydney
Alot of people seem to run kelford cams, they sound pretty reasonable for the money.

Really, if you can get a cam in the spec you want, the brand wont really make much of a difference. As long as its not some chinese regrind made from crappy materials.

FYI im running big cams with a microtech, runs perfectly.

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
Kelford/camtech are quite good.
Wade are good quality but shit to deal with and don't do many grinds.
Tighe have more misses than hits and there tech info is fucking useless.

All the jap brand are top quality but you will pay for it.

ach_66

Nov 25, 2009
Newcastle-ish
Hey guys, been thinking of dropping some bigport cams into my smallport GZE. I've heard its not a bad mod with adjaustable cam gears, which I have. Any hints, tips or hidden tricks? Will I need to do anything special with shims etc? Or can I just throw em in?

Obviously a retune will be in order.

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Hey guys, been thinking of dropping some bigport cams into my smallport GZE. I've heard its not a bad mod with adjaustable cam gears, which I have. Any hints, tips or hidden tricks? Will I need to do anything special with shims etc? Or can I just throw em in?

Obviously a retune will be in order.
You won't need a re-tune,the difference would only be seen on a dyno chart. There's 8degrees of duration and 0.4mm of lift difference.

Go here for some setting specs: http://www.billzilla.org/4agstock.htm#head

Justin...