Curtis' 87 Resto Modded BEAMS

Grappletech

Aug 11, 2014
Co. USA
Alright ladies and gents, this is a quick update, I've been a little low on motivation lately.
I know a lot of people have problems finding OEM rubber mounts for their cars. But I'm pretty sure I bought one of the last sets. It took a while to find them but if your like me you stick to OEM. As opposed to forking out big money on aftermarket parts.

Found these on Amazon:

New on the left

Busted

Now here is where it gets tricky. There is a nipple that fits onto the metal cover? But the rubber doesn't bend very well. If you look closely you'll see what I mean

Better pic.

It's frustrating at first but I squeezed the metal and the rubber mount in a vice, a few taps with a hammer and bam I got it in!!!!

Grappletech

Aug 11, 2014
Co. USA
alright guys, quick update! I received a bunch of parts that I recently ordered.
Still have a ways to go, I have been saving up so that I can get the wiring done, and after that i have to cut the bottom sump. Pics once I get it all sorted out. in the meantime here is the latest pic of the motor.

Powder coating done by my buddy Vic (Jeonsah)

The Xcessive Manufacturing Beams to AE86 engine, trans mounts are here! plus a few other misc parts. like Fuelab AFPR, MK3 turbo fuel pump, tie rod ends. ARP flywheel bolts. If you want close ups of anything just let me know! I will be putting these parts on very soon

The spread!

cant forget this Thanks EP Importers!

Grappletech

Aug 11, 2014
Co. USA
Long time no update. I've been busy with work, and moved to NC. Nevertheless i've been making some progress on the car, Enjoy:

Had these headers custom made. I think he did a great job getting around the steering column.

if you look closely you can see the mounting solution. Nutserts are pretty cool. so it should provide easy removal of the motor

-

I got the Celica axles rewelded with the Xcessive mounts for the ae86, painted. Gonna clean up the hubs and reassemble the rear end. Probably going to get all new brakes and store my GTS rear on a shelf.

Ordered this distro box from a BMW to relocate the battery and neaten the other things.

Going to start the car later this week once my MRP MAF air straightener and other intake pieces come in. Still waiting on a better solution for the shifter relocation, there are a few off the shelf companies that are trying to work on this, but i think ill find a solution that ma be a bit cheaper than manufactured parts.

Grappletech

Aug 11, 2014
Co. USA
So after a few days of messing around with it, I was able to crank it, but my cam was off by a tooth. It essentially blew a flame out of the intake! So I was able reset it and bang! it fired up with no problems. Of course it was insanely loud due to it having open headers. Also, it sprung a leak due to the bottom oil sump having a stripped bolt in it. Also, it did not stay running since I had previously set the fuel pressure to around 50 ish PSI on the safe side. Either way I did not want to keep it running long due to all of that.

Have the lower sump on order. I'm going to yank the motor clean up some of my wiring, redo the fuel lines, flush all the old crappy lines out. relocate the crappy battery I have, find a shifter kit. Of course Ill be putting the supra rear end in! yippee!

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
Awesome work man. Love how clean and tidy it all is. The engine mounts being reomovable with nutserts is interesting. I know they are considered structural, but I have seen "lots" of them pulled out of bicycle frames just by the weight of the water bottles flapping around.

Also, a quick question. Not a critisism at all, but I'm curious why old mate welded the slip connector for the manifold ?

One of the main reaasons as I understood it for th e slip connector was to allow for stress relief in the manifold as it expands during heat cycles ... Welding this completely causes / isolates the stress in very concentrated areas ?

Anyways like I said a question not a criticism lol.

It a builda like this that sometimes make me regret my "make do" approach to mine lol. So tidy lol

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Grappletech

Aug 11, 2014
Co. USA
Pat, thanks for the kind words. The reason for it is because it needed a collector of some sort. It likely could have had the more "traditional" fitment but it just didnt pan out that way. I plan on putting a flex pipe in there along the way in order to keep the stress on the entire system down

this car is by no means clean lol. maybe its just the lighting

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
Lol yeah was manlinly meaning how clean and fresh all the bits on the engine were lol. :)

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Grappletech

Aug 11, 2014
Co. USA
Sorry gents. Lately I've been pretty busy working on the car and with work. I have to do better on these updates. I will start documenting a lot more!