Charge light on dash

regginblack

Mar 7, 2009
melbourne
Hey guys, first off like to say as a newish owner this forum has helped heaps thanks to others posts in fixing the various problems ive had so far with my car.
One day wile driving in the city, i had my stereo up kinda loud when the motor started cutting out, loosing all power and jerking. at the time i was panicing but it went away in a short while, and i parked it thinking nothing of it. when i got back the car started fine then half way down the highway on my way home the charge light came on. turned off stereo, dimmed interior lights as much as i could, and drove untill it conked out at an intersection (had to get passer by to come out and push it to the side lol). jumped it with a mates car and drove it home. from there i bought a new battery, light still on, battery still drains. after that i installed a new alternator, and even with a fully charged battery the light is still on. the alternator was working on the previous car it was on, so i dont see how this could be the issue. checked the fuse in the engine bay, looked fine...
does anyone have any suggestions as to what has gone wrong and how i can fix it?

shayno

Nov 27, 2006
central coast
This happened to mine too...it was the fuses that attatch to the positive terminal had corrosion on them.You would give them a wiggle and all would be good.I'd take the terminal off and give everything a good wire brush and see how that goes.

xero

Oct 4, 2006
northern beaches, sydney
if that doesnt work, your alternator is dead.

i had this happen to me in peak hour traffic, on a steep hill, about 50m from a set of lights and side street to park in...

Aug 14, 2007
Bergen - Norway
www.rad-GTV-ski.com
charge light

Has your car got an external voltage regulator?? if so this could be the problem, ADM AE86's have this mounted near the battery on the strut tower, easiest way to check is to see if you are getting 13.5-14.0volts with the engine running at the battery.

regginblack

Mar 7, 2009
melbourne
i had cleaned the terminal when i got rid of the old battery, but i didn't realize there were fuses in it lol. how do u check if they are still good? (i cant tell if they're busted like a normal fuse), can u find replacement fuses easily? or will i have to order them in from toyota or something?
will try to test voltage regulator in next few days...

shayno

Nov 27, 2006
central coast
The fuses are dear little bastards...about 10 bucks each from repco,there should be 2 in the terminal,30 amp and a 60 amp i think?

regginblack

Mar 7, 2009
melbourne
thanks for ur help guys, tested the fuses and they seem to be ok. ill try and get a new voltage regulator within the next few weeks, when its all done ill give a shout out.