bus - o - disappoinment

ke_70

Feb 26, 2010
barossa
have you got a 1/4 af spanner? or somthing to fit the nipples?

and also how did you go connecting up the wilwood brake lines? as mine were a different thread and stripped the frist few threads

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
havnt got that far. couldnt get the hard line bits to let go, they are a bit rounded so my spanner spins too easy. not sure what ill do.

ke_70

Feb 26, 2010
barossa
use vice grips if you have rounded them off.

the trick to brake lines is a really good 10mm spanner and then shut your eyes grit your teeth and bang the spanner (anti-clockwise) with your hand to crack them other wise you will round it everytime.

if the new lines are tight after like 1.5-2 threads dont tighten them up as you will fuck the thread in the hard lines. and you will have to replace the whole line to to fix it as brake lines use a special double flare

i suspect that because the brakes are made in the usa they are designed around a usdm ae86 which would have all imperial fittings on it. and adm and jdm ae86 would have all metric fittings on it. so they have same size nut but different pitch (thread)

when i told joel about this he said it was the first time he'd heard of it so im not sure? mabey i just got unlucky????? but just be careful

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
same issue you had.

havnt got around to chasing up a adaptor or replacement, and kinda pissed that i have to.

not really the bolt in operation its advertised as.

how did you go at the caliper end with your ajps lines?

ke_70

Feb 26, 2010
barossa
fine the brake lines screw straight into the thread in the calipers

you know you can use the standed rubber line till you get a replacment any ae86 line will still bolt up to them

im pissed to their own brake lines dont even bolt up. the cast on the rotors are dodgy as and wear heaps. their pads didnt fit either i had to grind off 2mm on one! but it is amarican i guess........

ps wanna sell your trd headers? lol

Andy 86

Jun 12, 2006
Adelaide, SA
The brake rotors on those kits are possibly the shittest casting job on anything that i've ever seen...

and you should see the rotor wear with carbon pads!

definately going to look into 2 piece rotors with some alloy hats in the future.

would like to know what the original car was that the rotors are intended for!

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
yeh i have tried to find out, but no luck.

have you contacted gabe??? these were originally offered back in the day with a 2 piece rotor with alloy hats, but that was dumped due to the costs i believe.

how hard is it to machine custom hats?

.... standard 86 lines fit.... fuck me im a dick. the mrs will be pissed the car has been on stands for this long cos i never thought to try that :)

ps the headers arnt trd. they are a custom made copy from glen, the guy you got the throttle adaptor from. were relativley cheap and work ok, but being designed for his car, they are a bit high in the body of the car for where i mounted the engine..... nothing a hammer wouldnt fix, but could be better.

have yet to see if standard oe spec am extractormores for an altezza will fit the ae86, but the way brad did his should be easy to copy and [put something descent into action?

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
lol....i go through stages.... want to, dont want to lol
hit me up if your serious lol.

otherwise, hills run befor i leave yeah?

or at least a bbq and brews?

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
so she just got driven round the block for the first time in like 3 months i think.

guards all need a skim and a bit of paint, but these are much much better than my first set on the 86 :)

rear needs a BIT more room to be happy, but only a couple of mm more each side.

from left wilwood caliper is refusing to bleed. Everything went really well with the bleeding, but the left caliper just wont pump fluid.

needs a wheel alignment and will probably get a rise across the board, maybe 10mm all round. I love it this low, but i need to avoid upseting the constabulary as much as possible.

thanks for reading boys :)

oh yeah also cracked open my muffler... sounds like a vdub now lol

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
alright you judgemental shitbags.....

more underwater pics.

the lovely anna has been into me to get my shit sorted and have the cars ready o go to tass.

So the plan is to get the 86 running, then packed up and ready to get transported.

The silver sled is to be running as daily so when we sell annas red rocket of fury, we can still get around in styles mo fo...

so i have rearranged the "shed" to allow me the room to in and out the engine while i modify the mounts and then get the 86 running. It also means the lounge room is no longer the workshop, so i can throw a wall up and get the house ready for sale.

so i started here....

then here...

yes... moving a couple hundred kilos of engine up a hill by yourself on the grass in the rain is FARKINGSHITCUNTAWFUL

progress of a kind....

and then i ate a BANNANA MAN.....

and then set a new rear height for the silver sled.... pimpin?

and the new daily.... chics love styles boys........

Pat

Nov 29, 2006
e-town tasmania
does anyone have any interest in helping me with my willwoods??? for the life of me i cant get the left caliper to bleed????

its killing me, i have tried like 6 times lol. There is fluid coming out of the hardline to the softline junction, so its not a blockage in the body lines. Sometimes there is a dribble out of the lowest bleed nipple, but essentially nothing comes out of the bleed points at all.

im sick of running round the car pressing the brakes and running back checking.... blah blah blah

also does anyone know if the "character line" of the ke70 is meant to be horizontal or not?

cheers lads....

of yeah....

burst of enthusiasm...

ke_70

Feb 26, 2010
barossa
so if you open all the nipples on that caliper can you jump on that brake pedal and it will hold pressure?