Bottom rad hose replacement

regginblack

Mar 7, 2009
melbourne
Hey guys,
Have just changed my alternator setup from the abortion it once was to a proper RWD one on my 4age 16v, but
I've been having issues finding a bottom rad hose to suit it. Tried stock one and it didn't work as it fouled the alternator and came up short. I've now made a custom one using metal pipe and some bends but even with a spring inside it still kinks a bit from the top join to the metal pipe. While its doesn't block the pipe off it's significant enough for me to be concerned as when I do drive my car it's often on track and as hard as I can. Any suggestions for suitable rad hoses or do I just have to re make another custom setup?

regginblack

Mar 7, 2009
melbourne
I looked through supercheap rad pile, couldn't find it. The eBay ones should fit right? I'm unsure because I got one off a mate that was supposed to right for an ae86 and it didn't fit correctly as it fouled the alternator.

fergo308

Dec 28, 2007
Western Sydney
Fouling the alternator can depend on which thermostat housing you're using. my original JDM housing fit perfectly. I swapped to another one that had a sensor boss in it which holds a switch to trigger my thermo fans and the hose flange angle is slightly different - pointing it a tad lower,which makes the hose touch the alternator.
Trying another housing that sits higher is another option. Maybe do a wrecker run and find one off of something similar that will do the job.

Justin...