And so it begins....

Jamiesbrain

Mar 21, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Hi All,

Just bought my first 86 which will be for fun and am considering Club rego.
Is HR a club in the sense that it can be registered as it's club for rego?
Any cruises happen in QLD much?

Car was purchased yesterday and is currently getting sorted for transport from HR home base to Australia.

Keen to take delivery, go over it and sort it out then get it out for a drive :).

Question for all as a side note, is it worth grabbing a few parts to stick in the old girl for the trip back ie maybe a spare set of bumpers from Impulse and some other gear or are panels and parts easily available here in Aust?
What are the harder to get replacement parts that are hampered by freight cost that HR owners try to get?

Second question to be a proper noob, does anyone know what the process is to get on at Tsukuba Race track in Japan? I need to head in the direction shortly for work and thought before it goes on the ship, I could get a lap or 6 in, on one of my want to drive tracks before I shuffle off said mortal coil. I know I need a licence to get on but so far the track has been mum more so due to language barrier lost in translation I think. The website translation is a total fail from google to look at the calender and information. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Jamie

Jamiesbrain

Mar 21, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I was thinking front and rear bars, front guards and some cosmetic things. Was thinking maybe a mint dash for later on if I want to put an original one back in, the current one has some slight marks in it.

Always looked at the HR with a longing to own and drive from the early 90's, now older and able to do it I can appreciate it more.

more86

Mar 21, 2014
Australia
The car looks good, great purchase.

I've heard stories of goods getting stolen while its on the boat, not sure if it still happens though

How does club rego work in QLD? Does the car need to follow regular modification rules in terms of street-legal or something less stricted?

Jamiesbrain

Mar 21, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Not sure on the club rego part but am investigating currently. I think you are afforded some further mods but only if they have blue plates. Still though, I have to check that and make sure that is the case.

Talked to the broker and we cant ship parts in the car, so I may just organised a crate when I am over there and buy what I need, ship it back and store in the shed.

johl

May 8, 2007
brisbane
yeh putting parts in cars is a no-no. look into putting parts in jdm garage's containers. they are a business in capalaba and ken streeter will send stuff to his yard to ship with them. it works out alot cheaper than doing it yourself.

club rego still needs to pass the same road worthy that any vehicle on the road does. there is no special allowances for them. in saying that i think police would be more lenient to your because you can prove it is not driven that often on the road. you can also "test" the vehicle within 15km of its registered address without any hassles of cops asking what your up to. other than that you have to be driving it to a club meet/track day that your registered car club is organising or to a work shop that is doing work on it. this information was correct when i looked into it around 3 or 4 years ago

Course_Out

May 3, 2009
Newcastle NSW
In NSW you need to be part of a registered car club (most areas have one) and you are only allowed limited mods that are "period" (twin carbs, period wheels, etc are generally about it for the MGs in our club as an example) or for safety (i.e. cages, brake upgrades, etc.). Here it is up to the car club to decide if a car meets the criteria

Jamiesbrain

Mar 21, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
No Dramas,

I will talk with both my existing car club (MG Car Club QLD) and QMR for direction.

Thanks Johl, I might drop in and see the guys at JDM G and maybe go that way.

Just throwing it out there and I am sure everyone will have a different opinion, what is the most collectible model of 86? Aside from the Black Limited.

more86

Mar 21, 2014
Australia
Automatic AE86/85s would be my guess just because they're uncommon these days.

How long is the car going to be in the ship for?

Jamiesbrain

Mar 21, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Has not left yet, I have kept it there to get some things added and changed haha the moneypit begins!
A bit cheaper for some of the parts etc I want changed over to get it done there.
Plus, I am off for work shortly to the states and might drop through Japan to take it out and have a run at a track.
Currently trying to look at where I can run it at a local track day just to have a bit of fun. Tsukuba is the goal but currently it is hard figuring out the schedule vs what is on there.

Jamiesbrain

Mar 21, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Couple of pics pre getting on the boat in a better light :)
Can't wait to get it home, check it over, load up with fuel (do the normal run out on that batch to remove existing), and then work on hillclimb steering and sus setup.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]