So turns out the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on snapped off in the crank which = borked motor. On the other hand I have something pretty awesome on it's way from adelaide so watch this space, next two weeks are going to be big ones
New engine is in. It's an ae92 block with ae101 internals and a slightly decked head for a bit higher comp. I've put a techno toy tuning crank pulley on it to bring the boost up to 14psi. Made a blocking plate for the ABV and gaskets to suit, would like to remove it and have the sc outlet manifold welded up but that can wait for another day.
New clutch is in too, and oddly enough the old one was just a standard organic unit from what it looks like. So now that the new clutch is in I can drive it just that little bit harder
Had to make up a custom crossmember for the gearbox, contrary to what ke70 owners like to think, they're not the same as an ae86 in any shape or form and shit doesn't just "bolt up". But yeah, new crossmember, new drive shaft. I've got to get a wheel alignment and have the panhard rod adjusted as well as my new castor arms put in.
The W58 shifter flares out too early near the gear knob thread so I can't use my old razo knob any more, bought a genuine TRD one on ebay from a bloke in newcastle, should arrive next week some time. All that's left to do now is to set the timing, install the bonnet, install my new door hinges (Thanks AJPS ) and clean the garage + run the motor in. 800k's / two tanks should do it then I can see what sort of power this motor makes. Should be a fair bit more than the old one as ilt had a rather large hole in one of the silicon intake joiners, smaller pulley and no abv mods. Got a feeling I'll be snapping some axles soon...
Going to put 2 tanks of fuel through it which will be about 800-1000k's, just regular driving but try to keep it under 4k. Then I'll be able to flog it as hard is it'll take it.
I've hit a slight set back, I cracked one of the heater core pipes when putting the motor in and got a coolant leak, so I've already ripped it out and as soon as my plumber mate gets back to me, we can get it fixed up, set the timing and start burning through some fuel
Already ripped the core out in an effort to get it welded up, the crack was pretty bad and they're made of brass rather than copper so we didn't have the right materials to get it sorted. So after all that we did what I suggest initially, cut it down and just push the hose on more. seems to work so far. Just having some trouble sorting out the crank angle sensor now and sorting out the timing.
Picked up a new shift boot today as well, the stock ae86 one kept ripping the lever out of 1st, 3rd and 5th because the lever is more forward than the t50 one. Went to supercheap, got some generice fit shift boot, now I have to find a way to force the bottom to stay flared open so it looks more fully shick moite than it does normally.
Ok so the core started to leak again. Turns out that an ae82 core can also be used as they're almost identical. The only difference is that one of the outlets faces towards the drivers side a bit and the core is a bit shorter. I just used some foam to space it out and yeah all good now.
Only managed 200k's on the car so far but I'm finding it pretty hard to not rev it out. Keeping it under 4 grand for now but it's so damn torquey. Pulls really strong from 2500. I'm also really liking these new gear ratios. Car's got a 3.9 ratio diff in it with a w58 so the ratios are really long but it actually feels really good. Once it's run in I'll rev it out and check what the ratios are like, if they feel a bit off I'll drop a 4.11 ratio diff in a friend has and try that.
So now that the car is finally finished I gotta start thinking about attending my first hr annual...
Been 8 years since the last update and man has the whole car scene changed with social media decimating the forums and leaving them a baron wasteland. I don't know if anyone is still kicking around here but I was feeling nostalgic and decided another update is in order.
Anyway, I've still got the car but the body is falling to bits, rust everywhere. Body work is the one thing I can't do but I do have a plan to save it and it involves a lot of carbon fibre and a lot of yen.
The car will be deregistered and put in storage for a while as I'll be using a one owner granny spec Mitsubushi Scorpion as a daily driver for a while. My first car with AC and power steering, such luxury.
So the bad news is that both my cars have been hit by the hailstorms we've had in Melb over the last 8 years, the AE86 copped it twice. So until I've got my own house and garage there's no point in fixing up the body only to have it get destroyed again.
The good news is that I can get the ball rolling again in a year or two when I get back from Japan. The car will be getting stripped down and getting a body rebuild. Rear hatch, qtr panels, doors, boot floor and bonnet will all be replaced with carbon fibre items and then a factory red panda paint job.
I've still got the original engine the car was bought with and the goal will be to go 7AGZE with bored out cylinders to get as close to 1.9lt as possible. Induction will remain supercharged using an aftermarket unit.
It might all sound like wishful thinking but I was fortunate enough to make some good investments and its time to start spending a little. I'll probably be putting together a series of YouTube videos detailing the build so hopefully my next update won't take 8 years this time.