4ac cam cover removal? can I leave it off

Julz01

Oct 4, 2006
Melbourne
Hey guys

Well atm I have an oil leak on the mighty 4ac, the leak is coming from the oil filter side of the engine bay, I had put a sandwich plate for the oil pressure gauge and thought that was the cause of the leak, took it off and its still leaking.

Now I saw that on of the lower bolts on the cam cover is off and its wet there so thought that could be why its leaking, for the life of me I cant get the bolt in and cbf taking off the alternater to make it easier to get the bolt in, then i remembered that it people run without the cam cover so figured that it might not be leaking from there.

so can I just take the cam cover off, the seal is being a bitch and cant get it to sit properly again.

Cannonball

May 31, 2006
Sydney
Yes you can take the cam gear cover off, but that will not fix your problem. The cam gear cover is to keep dust/dirt and more importantly fingers out of the cam gears and belt. The oil seal that is possibly the fault is likely to be the rocker cover seal.

Julz01

Oct 4, 2006
Melbourne
sweet thanks, I did take the rocker cover off and put a new seal on a couple of weeks back might take it off again to check that its sealing properly then, I thought of this but everytime i looked at the rocket cover I couldnt feel any oil or anything like that coming out will double check

Cannonball

May 31, 2006
Sydney
PS, while there is no technical problem with not having your cam cover on, it is illegal, as any passing innocent old ladies will get there scarf caught in the cam gears, and get minced by the mighty 4AC clutch fan.

You have been warned

AE86slut

Mar 30, 2006
Sydney
Julz another tip if you do decide to leave it off is: If you wear hoodies make sure you remove the draw-string from them just to be on the safe side. I've come way too close on several occasions to having mine pulled in and I don't want to even think about the consequences of that happening, so just keep it in mind. Also if you wear a tie for work or whatever, just be conscious of it.