Recent content by 85Kai

1. 8

TRD 2-way to swap deal

Asian86, I'll have to put the swap deal on hold until further notice. Although S14seriesII is probably right about the spider gears there are other ways around that. If your diff is a disc brake diff we should be able to swap axles over with the LSDs. I'm giving my diff a service right now and...
  2. 8

TRD 2-way to swap deal

Is that an opinion or a fact you've discovered by trying it yourself? The only reason I ask is I was told it could be done.
  3. 8

TRD 2-way to swap deal

Cool. Sounds good. Even if the axles aren't compatible it won't matter, we'll just swap out the spider gears.
  4. 8

TRD 2-way to swap deal

My car currently has a TRD mechanical 2-way LSD (so I was told) fitted and I'm chasing a factory LSD. Mine is too harsh and clunky for what I want. When the car was being built I wanted a factory one but the guy only had the TRD unit. My diff centre needs an overhaul as the bearings are gone in...
  5. 8

Buying from Tube Garage Japan

There are a few of ADM AE86s for sale for under $10K with 4AGEs already fitted at the moment, plus there are two JDM 86s for sale for well under $15K. One of them has a 4AGZE fitted to it! There's also a beautiful black GT Apex for sale for $16K ono that looks really clean and has some nice...
  6. 8

HR QLD Monthly Meet Suggestions

when's the next get together guys? I'm keen for a cruise. I've got a dodgy diff right now but it'll hold up.
  7. 8

Kouki and Zenki driveshafts

Hi guys, I'd really like some confirmation with this. I need to know for sure which diff I have as I need to rebuild my centre (or replace it). I've been reading everything I can find about how to tell the difference between the two diff series (zenki and kouki) but there's too much...
  8. 8

Yeah, that's what you've got to weigh up. If you don't really care where the shell came from then go the cheaper route and build one here exactly how you want to.
  9. 8

Hi Swee, I haven't personally been to their shop but after a quick look at their website I can tell you the prices are really expensive. All worth the money, I'm sure but one of the cheaper Truenos I just looked at (http://www.tubegarage.com/trueno/2176/t2176.html) will cost you around...
  10. 8

G'day guys new member with some rust repair problems

My first 86 was a rust bucket. My parent's next door neighbour used to be a panelbeater so I simply took it to him. If you're not in that kind or situation then you could try sourcing those difficult parts from a damaged shell that will be scrapped. Cut them out and weld them in place of your...
  11. 8

The importing and compliance experience.

The car is on the road! The safety certificate and registration were hassle free, which is nice. I had to pay $69 in stamp duty on a proposed market value of $2,300. I figure if they're gonna hit me with a bullshit tax then I'll give them a bullshit figure. I can finally enjoy driving it (other...
  12. 8

Compliance is done. David was really good. Both times he came to my place to inspect the car. He was easy going and helpful. I'd recommend him to those in the Brisbane area. Price for his services and plate: $726. A lot of money to pay someone to simply read through a checklist, take a few...
  13. 8

Big day tomorrow. The car should be getting its compliance plate attached. Hopefully all will go well. Problems I've had: Mounting the plates for the rear seatbelts on the underside of the parcel shelf. Regulations state the plates must be 3mm thick, a total of 3750mm squared and have 5mm...
  14. 8

Here are some links to the people I've used during my journey. Shane and Erin http://jdmgarage.com.au/tours/Media/?page_id=2 David Blythe (compliance) www.dbautotech.com.au Seat Safe (seatbelts) ww.seatsafe.com.au
  15. 8

I noticed a thread asking about importing an AE86 from Japan. So to help anyone else out who might be thinking of this I thought I'd do a write up on the whole process from start to finish while I'm going through the compliance of my own car now. I'll cover the time frame, costs and what's...