Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    yeh i dont think we need RED HOT threads really. i just preferred read and unread. was easy to scroll through before work
    New Forum.
    New Look.
    New badass motherfucker who won't take no shit from no one!

can we embed youtube vids?
    www.Ghettogarage.org

WE PARTY
    and do car type related things

The only issue I have with the new forums is that nothing (lay-out) has changed. Its the same HR, & still not attracting new members.
    From what I have seen there is a gap in the market for the more mature Toyota enthusiast, who can get along with the younger fashionable drifters etc so long as seperate sections exist, e.g Track cars, Historics, Kit cars, Skid cars.
    There is also soon going to be a home required for the next generation of Subaru/Toyota FT-86 owners, why not make it here as opposed to a new forum etc.
    I recon a change inc more sections + getting the word out, attract young & old but do not mix the two would really help boost the site.

its probably hard to attract people with the name HR as most will think own an 86 or GTFO. i wouldnt want the name changed at all tho, just saying. Even if they do sign up think of the pokies... FLASHING NEON LIGHTS
    New Forum.
    New Look.

Quote Originally Posted by Eircamae86 View Post
    The only issue I have with the new forums is that nothing (lay-out) has changed. Its the same HR, & still not attracting new members.
    From what I have seen there is a gap in the market for the more mature Toyota enthusiast, who can get along with the younger fashionable drifters etc so long as seperate sections exist, e.g Track cars, Historics, Kit cars, Skid cars.
    There is also soon going to be a home required for the next generation of Subaru/Toyota FT-86 owners, why not make it here as opposed to a new forum etc.
    I recon a change inc more sections + getting the word out, attract young & old but do not mix the two would really help boost the site.
    thanks for the input mate, ill be making some big changes in the next few weeks to the forum contents etc. its a fluid process so im open to any and all suggestions to what you guys want on hr!
    My BEAMS GTV Trueno

HR - Building a Better Worldwide AE86 Community Since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    its probably hard to attract people with the name HR as most will think own an 86 or GTFO. i wouldnt want the name changed at all tho, just saying. Even if they do sign up think of the pokies... FLASHING NEON LIGHTS
    we are doing a fair bit in the background in terms of keywording etc to get the interest up.
    My BEAMS GTV Trueno

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    we are doing a fair bit in the background in terms of keywording etc to get the interest up.
    Good on ya Garth,

I've been a mod on a silvia forum for several years,and ran a yahoo message board a long time before that,and from my experience,the sites with the highest traffic usually also have the highest noise to signal ratio.

Separate sections for each crowd (young and older) is a good idea,as is the 86 GT/86 GTS section,as those cars will be in the hands of enthusiasts in another couple of months.

For sale sections are usually the most popular on forums,followed by social stuff,then the projects and technical stuff comes in last. Young kids have an attention span of about 5minutes,so unless they're encouraged to crap on about random topics,or meet up and show off to each other,they don't tend to stick around. If member attrition is a concern,maybe organising more frequent meet ups or other social events would be a possible fix. Even if it's just a 'who's going to such and such,come down as part of the group' kind of thing.

My two cents worth anyway...

Justin...
    Last edited by fergo308; 01-04-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: typo

justin, i had 2 younger members who are mainly part of DC say exactly the same thing regarding which sections are posted in most.
    for them it was:
    offtopic
    forsale
    tech

and i had a conversation with another guy not too long ago where another forum was created and it was all just the usual shit talker from the offtopic sections all just chatting with no real rules applicable and bit of tech. it wasnt that sophisticated but most members knew each other away from the forum or at least via the internets.

so there is some truth in what you are saying, but also have a look the member ride section and you'll also see that almost everyone who is a regular member here is the middle of a major rebuild (you and i both guilty of this)

often when the annual has been annouced you will get a lot of interest in it at first, but then it dies off as the date draws closer...
    im not blaming anyone for this i certainly talk about it enough, but in regards to that a fair number of the younger members who say they are coming just dont turn up. when new guys do turn up i do my level best to meet them and have a look at their cars so they at least have someone remember them or the car if they turn up to a meet so they are all standing around like a thirsty bump on a log.

in terms of hardcore members and enthusiasts i would have say tassie has everyone beat. sydney has a lot of younger members who see the AE/KE as a stepping stone into the nissan turbo world. sure there are the dedicated members like us, but we are almost outnumber 100 to 1.

at the moment its not just us, other forums (toymods and nissansilvia, etc etc) have been experiancing a downturn in forum involvement, i cant say exactly why, as social media is a boon for organising events, but at some point it will even itself out...

ill stop my ramblings there i think...
    Last edited by xero; 01-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    Adam

Got NSW HR Events Questions? Check out the NSW Forum or PM me. Tell your friends about our AE86 meets, we would love it if they came.

N/A for life....

Our cars generally are a stepping stone into other things like silvias or evos,and I can't blame people for that,hell,I've even encouraged it myself in the past,when I've read the oh-so-common 'Which car do I buy as a P plater who's on a budget,are sprinters any good?' threads.
    AE86's require committment,and most aren't prepared for it,or can't see a project through. In those cases,i've generally told them to buy a civic,or NA silvia and leave AE86s alone.

I mod Silvia NSW and it's gone extremely quiet over the last two years,whereas nissansilvia.com is still going fairly strong. One of the main differences between the two is that NS.com has a LOT of meetups that they post about,and they allow all sorts of crapping on all over the forum,which silvia NSW doesn't put up with as much. the kids get frustrated with a lack of activity,and a strict atmosphere from the older guys,and while the older guys know more now that the young ones ever likely will,and their info is more accurate,the kids will follow whatever relates to them best at the time,whether it's wrong or right.
    I haven't been on toymods for ages,partly because it became a celica and engine-swapped cressida only group after a while and AE86 owners were constantly harassed.

What's the solution? I don't have all the answers of course. I'll try and help with working some out if I'm wanted to though.

justin...

BOOBS!

Answer to everything
    New Forum.
    New Look.

Quote Originally Posted by fergo308 View Post
    Our cars generally are a stepping stone into other things like silvias or evos,and I can't blame people for that,hell,I've even encouraged it myself in the past,when I've read the oh-so-common 'Which car do I buy as a P plater who's on a budget,are sprinters any good?' threads.
    AE86's require committment,and most aren't prepared for it,or can't see a project through. In those cases,i've generally told them to buy a civic,or NA silvia and leave AE86s alone.

I mod Silvia NSW and it's gone extremely quiet over the last two years,whereas nissansilvia.com is still going fairly strong. One of the main differences between the two is that NS.com has a LOT of meetups that they post about,and they allow all sorts of crapping on all over the forum,which silvia NSW doesn't put up with as much. the kids get frustrated with a lack of activity,and a strict atmosphere from the older guys,and while the older guys know more now that the young ones ever likely will,and their info is more accurate,the kids will follow whatever relates to them best at the time,whether it's wrong or right.
    I haven't been on toymods for ages,partly because it became a celica and engine-swapped cressida only group after a while and AE86 owners were constantly harassed.

What's the solution? I don't have all the answers of course. I'll try and help with working some out if I'm wanted to though.

justin...
    i could relate JDMST to a lot like NS.com, because they have regular meets but they are more of a "ohh shiny parts and brand names" kinda place.
    having been to many many many of their meets over the years, even now they are seperating themselves into factions. i remember a few years ago when they were getting quite large i couldnt walk 10ft without running into someone i knew and chatted to for the next 15mins...
    ive been a member their since 2006 and im considered on of the older guys, but even justin the forum owner admits he doesnt know who half the people are on the forum now, and barely knows any of the people at meets and the like.

and you right a lot of the younger members will only want info right now that pertains to them, they are not willing to sift through an article to find out what they need or that something can be done another way.
    maybe thats where you and i are unique.

at the moment their isnt much we can do but certainly ill take what ever i can get.
    Adam

Got NSW HR Events Questions? Check out the NSW Forum or PM me. Tell your friends about our AE86 meets, we would love it if they came.

N/A for life....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    BOOBS!

Answer to everything
    damn straight...did someone say boobs??

'Lazy
    ハチロク魂

"The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you. It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf. That's the magic of the Hachiroku." -KT

^ i wanted to do that but didnt think it was a good idea to google boobs at work
    New Forum.
    New Look.

whats up with the date-time on the posts we make ? its like theyre about 12 hours out ? says am when its pm

edit- ok this one for instance its 10:11pm here now and its says 12:11pm on my post

is it a setting i need to change ?
    - Mark -
    white ae86 high comp' 4age.. Restored stocker
    white ae86 402kw atw 3sGTE race car
    red ae86 daily driver 3sGE
    harlequin s14a 200sx weekend cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by s14seriesII View Post
    whats up with the date-time on the posts we make ? its like theyre about 12 hours out ? says am when its pm

edit- ok this one for instance its 10:11pm here now and its says 12:11pm on my post

Yep setting for timezone in profile mate, should be under settings at the top of the page
    Must stop buying cars, must stop buying cars, must stop buying cars

^ Exactly. Thanks soot!
    My BEAMS GTV Trueno

Quote Originally Posted by s14seriesII View Post

fixed it for you. I ran a script a while back that should have fixed it for all but i guess scripts aren't flawless.
    Huy

Beams 3S-GE SV21. stupid, but fun.
    ST246W Caldina GT Four N

Thanks, all seems to be good now
    - Mark -
    white ae86 high comp' 4age.. Restored stocker
    white ae86 402kw atw 3sGTE race car
    red ae86 daily driver 3sGE
    harlequin s14a 200sx weekend cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    fixed it for you. I ran a script a while back that should have fixed it for all but i guess scripts aren't flawless.
    I dunno net send * always used to work pretty good at tafe in a batch script :lol
    Must stop buying cars, must stop buying cars, must stop buying cars