Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    While there are a lot of other really nice engines that would go nicely...
    I want to stay in 1600cc class, to stay with Toyota and don't want a turbo.

Doesn't leave much choice. Plus when you think AE86 what else comes to mind other than 4AGE 16v?

Arias 81.50mm Bore 11.5:1 Hi Comp Pistons
    BC Pro Series Con Rods (Balanced)
    Tomei 304 Duration 11mm Lift Pro Cams
    Supertech Oversize Valves
    0.5mm TRD Head Gasket
    Crankshaft Lightened and Balanced
    3.8kg Billet Flywheel (Balanced)

Plus all sorts of other niceties.

thats a pretty serious engine.

what transmission will you run?
    Custom Compact

Kaizen Garage

053 style.

LADS - live axle drift squad, founding member.

The T50 until it breaks. Then most likely the AZ6.

3uz?
    Clay.

you are now aware of your own breathing and must do it manually

Quote Originally Posted by Stain
    Tomei 304 Duration 11mm Lift Pro Cams
    take this from me, they will need a shit load of head work to fit. this is the issue i have at the moment as the lobes are much much larger than the bucket bore right now. also the 1SZ shimless buckets might not fit due to the duration and lift of the cams. you will have to get your bucket bores enlarged and may have to fit shimless buckets from a subaru.
    Adam

Got NSW HR Events Questions? Check out the NSW Forum or PM me. Tell your friends about our AE86 meets, we would love it if they came.

N/A for life....

The T50 until it breaks. Then most likely the AZ6.
    yeah. i was more getting at the ratios than the strength, but i guess the AZ6 covers both bases.
    Custom Compact

Kaizen Garage

053 style.

LADS - live axle drift squad, founding member.

Quote Originally Posted by xero
    take this from me, they will need a shit load of head work to fit. this is the issue i have at the moment as the lobes are much much larger than the bucket bore right now. also the 1SZ shimless buckets might not fit due to the duration and lift of the cams. you will have to get your bucket bores enlarged and may have to fit shimless buckets from a subaru.
    I knew about the lobes being so large they hit the bucket bores... Did not know about buckets not fitting. Grr. Got any more info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    yeah. i was more getting at the ratios than the strength, but i guess the AZ6 covers both bases.
    In regards to the ratio I'm still using a 4.7 and hoping to be able to use 2nd gear in the T50 much more with a engine that'll continue to make power up high. How it was before didn't quite work cos 1st was useless due to the ratio, I had no power low down in 2nd and ran out of revs...

Will be interesting to see if you can utilise this sort of power to your advantage, or if you will just throw it out on all those tight little mako corners. The only reason i say this is the fact that you will have some serious cams that will require you to be high up in the rev range to reap the rewards, just not sure if that will be so easy to do on quite a few corners of said track,,,,,,,,will be very cool though
    Mal.

Apparently an sr in an 86 is a mortal sin....... Good thing I'm not religious.

what lifters are you planning on using adam? any ideas on weather 1sz lifters work on 10.5mm lift cams?
    Clay.

you are now aware of your own breathing and must do it manually

the 1sz lifters will work no worries and should be fine with 10.5mm.

the biggest issue i have right now is the 11mm intake lift, on the exhaust side it doesnt seem to AS much of issue.
    Adam

Got NSW HR Events Questions? Check out the NSW Forum or PM me. Tell your friends about our AE86 meets, we would love it if they came.

N/A for life....

I have just realized I'm not building a 4A-GE 16v...

...Its a RA-GE 16x !!!!!!!!!!

Fuck I hate cars.

Fuck I hate cars.
    Bullshit
    Paul
    care co-efficient = 0

The things we all do for the hachi lol mostly drunk love
    Ben
    I got nuthin but time

Finished assembling my bottom end yesterday arvo...
    ...only to find that the Brian Crower rods I have are obviously made to suit a 3 rib block- and theres obviously a very very slight difference in the casting...

Because they don't clear! as the crank turns and the piston comes down the very edge of the big end touches the bottom of the cylinder bore! Only JUST...
    But regardless, the bottom end now needs to be completely disassembled again and some modifications made to accommodate... sigh.

Ditch them and get Carrillo ones
    Paul
    care co-efficient = 0

you sure you werent sent the stroker rods by mistake?
    and its for a 42mm journal?
    Adam

N/A for life....

the stroker kit from bc uses the exact same rods, just the crank and pistons that change.
    and the part number is correct, so is the journal. its just very odd.

reassembled it now after taking a file to the block. everything clears. next problem?

You probably already know this - but post filing the block you need to be careful you have removed all metal!

Don't want any bits getting in your new bearings and stuffing it all!

Also I use this during assembly so that first startup goes as well as possible:

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Ext...ize_Lubricant/
    Paul
    care co-efficient = 0

Thought I'd update with some more crap...

So got the bottom end back together and it all spins freely. Win.

Started to assemble the head... to find that out of 16 spring retainers, 1 was wrong in the packet. Got the place I bought em from to send a replacement.

Got all the buckets in to measure the clearances... they were WAYYY out. so much so that the 1SZ shimless bucket idea is out the window cos they don't come in the required range to get the correct clearance!
    Tracked down and ordered a under bucket shim kit. Waiting on that now.

Thought I'd check the valve to piston clearance while I had it partly done...
    As expected its now a interference engine so I don't want to jump any teeth on the timing belt like takai just experienced.

But I found something slightly more disturbing...
    The dome of the piston hits the spark plug electrodes at TDC... wtf!

After freaking out for a second I grabbed a old spark plug and tried that. Worked fine.
    Discovered the electrodes on the new plugs were 1.2mm longer which was enough to hit.
    Wouldn't come close in a stock engine, but since my pistons have a huge dome on them its now an issue.
    I didn't want to just get another set of the old brand cos 1.2mm was just a touch too close for my liking so I tracked down some plugs that had a much shorter electrode to give me some more clearance there.

So many bs small issues that you don't think about. grrr

i had a feeking the 1sz buckets wouldnt fit...

ive got similar pistons (as does takai) and neither of us had the issue with the spark plug.
    and yeah big cams + high comp pistons = interference engine.
    Adam

N/A for life....